Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Prep school disciplinary policy re alerting colleges

Replies to: Prep school disciplinary policy re alerting colleges

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 17,946 Senior Member
    @ChoatieMom Although it is a tragic story and the young woman will no doubt experience some lasting effects of the assault, I admire her strength to continue as a cadet. I am glad the military is finally starting to dole out harsh punishment for such crimes and hopefully it will send the message that this type of behavior will no longer be swept away. Unfortunately, the comments to the article are appalling.
  • panpacificpanpacific Registered User Posts: 1,301 Senior Member
    Don't know what they found eventually for the verdict, but looking at the report linked in the news (http://www.recordonline.com/news/20170501/west-point-cadets-court-martial-trial-starts), it didn't sound like a very strong case to begin with - at least not one for a 21 year jail time verdict. Well, let's say it's very, very "bad timing" to commit such a crime when the sexual assaults in the army are grabbing the national spotlight.
  • Korab1Korab1 Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    21 years is an exceptionally long sentence for a first time offender. UCMJ is different than state court, but it would be in the top 1% of sentence length for this offense by a similarly situated defendant. I would love to see the trial testimony in this case. The link provided by @panpacific summarizing the incident is interesting - sounds like a competent defense attorney would have been able to have a field day with this. Unfortunately, the JAG decides who your attorney will be.
  • copperboomcopperboom Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    This just in from my DD school - 2 seniors had their admissions rescinded by an IVY after partying on the IVY campus. When the Boarding School found out both students were suspended for the remainder of the year. One will walk with the class for graduation bc he did not lie about the incident to the schools, while the other will be at home for trying to cover his ass.
    I can't help but feel terrible for these kids. They worked so hard to get into this school. Hard to fault them for Senoritis- However, they made stupid choices, and will have to live with the consequences. Both students are taking GAP years. Feel terrible for the parents! Graduation after 4 long years should be be an exciting time.........
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,151 Senior Member
    That is an awful story @copperboom. My daughter's school has sent so many messages to parents and students from what I've heard. They also have several dates that are important and if students want to walk at commencement, they need a clean record in the days leading up to the big event.
    It sucks for those students but they are warned and it does make the school look bad. Any idea how the Ivy knew, @copperboom? Were they being "drunk and disorderly"? One danger to visiting these schools prior graduation, is that kids will frequently know BS alum at the colleges and the opportunities to partake are readily available and offered. I could easily see it happening. :-\"
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 33,765 Super Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Any idea how the Ivy knew, @copperboom?
    Yeah, I'd like a clarification on that as well. Did the Ivy rescind because it found out on its own, or did it rescind as a result of the BS suspension?
    I could easily see it happening. :-\"
    Clearly, so can I.
    One of the boys ended up at the emergency room- for what I can not say ( drunken injury, alcohol poisoning?...) but, yes, the IVY school was clearly involved BEFORE the boarding school. The boarding school suspended the students bc they have a policy that students are not allowed to drink while students at (X)BS, even off campus or during breaks ( read: be careful with social media!) The Boarding School is NOT happy about it. Who can blame them. It's several weeks before graduation. These are two of their success stories and by all accounts great kids. My DD knows both of them, and one of them very well. Good kids doing stupid things..... Makes you rethink allowing your kids visit friends at college-
    "One of the boys ended up at the emergency room"

Well, so much for being incognito. Sheesh. That would do it.

"Makes you rethink allowing your kids visit friends at college"

It sure does!

I do not blame the boarding school at all for being unhappy. By association, it does reflect on them and in this very competitive admissions climate, no school wants a Ivy admissions team questioning the acceptance of their grads in the future.
    Can you imagine calling your parents! my 5th grader got in trouble on the last week of school and said he was more afraid of me than the Principal! Imagine calling your parents to let them know that not only have your been in the hospital, your college has rescinded their offer and your BS is going to suspend you! NOT a good conversation after 4 years of paying tuition!
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,906 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    @copperboom @doschicos @skieurope what "typically" happens to kids such as the ones kicked out of a tippy-top BS and having their Ivy admission rescinded? Do they take a gap year get into lower-ranked schools? Go to their state flagship and try to transfer? Who would help them since they no longer could use the BS counselors?
    Well, in the case given, it sounds like students are suspended and not expelled and taking a year off. Kids will typically reapply the following year or see if another school they got accepted to is still interested.

Even if they get kicked out/expelled (can't say I've known any situations that late in senior year but do know of some in fall of senior year), I don't think the school would be totally uncooperative re: not giving advice, help with transcripts, etc.

I would imagine that in such a situation, families use private college counselors to navigate the process. There are plenty of schools that would willingly take a kid with a good profile even with a blemish or two on their record.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 33,765 Super Moderator
    There are plenty of schools that would willingly take a kid with a good profile even with a blemish or two on their record.
    I agree with @doschicos ; they will still have options, but often have to take a gap year.
  • Timeflies93Timeflies93 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    I'm sorry that this happened to your son. Kids deserve to be able to recover from their mistakes, especially when it is not a pattern of behavior. I believe that other parents who are going to make the same sacrifice to send their kid to such a school deserve to know how they have treated their students. Parents cannot make an informed decision without information like this. I advise you to share this information and the school with people who are looking at this school. Review their business on every site that is available. Share your story. There is no shame in telling the truth. You child is not a bad kid. He is a normal kid who made a bad choice that hurt no one but himself (and you). Contact the Better Business Bureau, this was a product you paid much money for and are unhappy with what you received.
This discussion has been closed.