Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Boarding Schools and sex

Replies to: Boarding Schools and sex

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 16,880 Senior Member
    This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN has an episode focused on consent and teens starting right now. They also repeat airings.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    What schools did they mention?
  • BeachVABeachVA Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    We live near a beach with anything goes atmosphere. We want a more structured, conservative BS where PDA/Sex are discouraged. Any suggestions?
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,013 Senior Member
    Just a thought, is hook-up culture more of a thing at more remote schools where kids can’t easily go into town and keep themselves otherwise occupied, or maybe even go on some semblance of a “date”?
    Doubtful. I think its driven by hormones more than boredom.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    I think it is a culture thing. SAS and Thacher are both “remote” and neither has a hook up culture, according to recent graduates.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 31,863 Super Moderator
    edited January 24
    We want a more structured, conservative BS where PDA/Sex are discouraged. Any suggestions?
    Military academy.

Although every school will discourage sex, the question to be asked is how much does the reality differ from the administration's wishes.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 31,863 Super Moderator
    edited January 24
    Single sex schools.
    While PDA/sex may be discouraged, let's not pretend that it does not exist, regardless of the environment.
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,013 Senior Member
    My bigger concerns are consent and physical protection (pregnancy, STD’s). I’d rather a school offer programming about these topics instead of simply trying to discourage the activity.
    Sure it will exist, @skieurope, but less so at single sex schools just due to more limited opportunities for most.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,907 Senior Member
    Kids have sex, whether at home or at boarding school.

At home: In the car, on the basement couch, in their own beds while Mom and Dad are out for the evening, at a friend's, in a field...

At boarding school: In the boathouse, in the field, in a dorm room in the middle of the night, in the costume room, checked out for the weekend...

• CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    I guess I don’t equate teen sex with a hook-up culture.

• ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,211 Senior Member
    At boarding school: In the boathouse, in the field, in a dorm room in the middle of the night, in the costume room, checked out for the weekend...

Don’t forget the ceramics building.