Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Do emails from schools prior to admission have any significance?

Replies to: Do emails from schools prior to admission have any significance?

• Sush2016Sush2016 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    edited November 2017
    Thankyou @MAandMEmom and @SevenDad! I hope so....The 3-4 kids I know at Choate were all at 98 and 99 percentile......which is a pretty skewed sample..... 8-|

For DS...I do want an environment that will challenge him....but will recognize his creativity which is not fully captured by scores....I want a place for him...which is rigorous but leaves time for him and encourages him to explore..... His brain works in very unconventional ways.....
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,150 Senior Member
    Note that my older girl had a 2380+ SSAT and was still rejected by Choate. Not even a WL. So scores are only part of the equation...
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 34,502 Super Moderator
    The 3-4 kids I know at Choate were all at 98 and 99 percentile......which is a pretty skewed sample.
    As I've said many times, the plural of anecdote is not data.
  • judbeeskijudbeeski Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    edited November 2017
    The schools tend to do a lot of marketing by e-mail now. Choate and Loomis certainly take full advantage of doing so. Makes sense as it is inexpensive and easy to do. Don't even read anything into getting snail mail like Christmas cards or invitations to see a play or other event, or attend a "getting to know ya" function hosted off campus in some town near you. An 87 is a fine score, but no matter what the score, don't read anything into any communications from the schools until the one in March (well, apart from a specific request for something that may not have made your file or an appt confirmation of course). Best of luck!
    edited November 2017
    @SevenDad that really puts things in perspective. I think a big component for all these schools is the right fit.....your message reminded me of another kid with near perfect scores not getting admitted to Choate...He landed in Hotchkiss and I think is loving it over there.

@skieurope, yes of course.....There may also be sharing bias in the limited amount of data we have available through anecdotes .....Higher scores may be getting talked about or revelaed more often in these personal stories. Another user shared with me that Choate average SSAT score is 85 and for Loomis it is 79, which is based on broad data ....and is probably a better indicator.

@judbeeski ...true that.

Since this chat group has been so helpful....I do have another question.....we are looking for schools only in Hartford, CT area....which explains why DS is applying to Choate and Loomis.....So far...our thinking is to try these two...if he gets in fine....if not...our town public school is probably not a bad choice.....Would you recommend any other school(s) in the area we should really look into besides Choate and Loomis?
  • CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    edited November 2017
    @Sush2016, are you looking only at boarding schools, and in terms of the Hartford area, what radius? Suffield is another that comes to mind -- it's very easily accessible from Hartford, and there are others, as well as day schools, but it depends on your preference and how far you would go from Hartford.
    Is he going to board or be a day student?
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,188 Senior Member
    Agree that emails and Christmas cards etc from the school are largely a ploy to get their denominator up by ensuring that students apply.

However, my first student who is a Choate alumna at present was put in touch by the ADCOM with the English Department head to talk about Choate's offerings in the area of writing because initially that was her thing.

We took it as a good sign that they were interested in her, and they were. She had published some stories in magazines already. As it turns out she is now in Business School, but point is sometimes those emails can be a good sign, but try not to read too much into them.
    @preppedparent: As I noted above....the emails/notes from schools don't mean anything — unless they do! But much better to not read anything into them, especially at this stage of the game.
    Mostly agree with you @SevenDad. Just sharing our family's experience. Don't try to read the tea leaves, you'll be disappointed every time. Much better to be delighted and surprised on M10, than disappointed, with hopes dashed.
    @CTMom21 yes Suffied academy is a possibility.....I don't know much about it....never looked into it before....but something worth considering? Best is to find something from daily driving distance from Hartford area.

@SevenDad ...yes we are only looking into day student options

@preppedparent, do you remember when you started to receive these mails from Choate? Strangely enough....we are not getting anything from Choate on emails......Just one snail mail packet ...that's it!
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    What about Westminster? Really nice campus.
    @Sush2016 Yes, it was after her interview with Admissions. They put her in touch with both the orchestra director and English Dept head. This was prior to M10, sometime in the Fall. Keep in mind Choate has a brand new Admissions Director (from Yale) and things may have changed. I wouldn't read too much into NOT getting email either!!!!! Fingers crossed for you.
  • GMC2918GMC2918 Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    Suffield & Westminster are both worth a look.