Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do emails from schools prior to admission have any significance?

Replies to: Do emails from schools prior to admission have any significance?

• CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    I agree, Westminster and Suffield are both within range and worth looking at, as well as Avon Old Farms (all boys) and Cheshire Academy, to think a bit more broadly. Kingswood-Oxford is a reputable day school in West Hartford. I can't think of any others without getting into the 60-90 minute range from Hartford, but there may be more day schools.
  • buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    DS received many emails from various coaches & departments at Loomis...did not apply to Choate. But in reference to @SevenDad and other's comments, he had 99 SSAT & was WL'd at LC. Fwiw
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    applicants will often get WL'd if the school (admissions, coach etc) are not convinced that the student will attend. They want to KNOW it is your first choice.
    ^or if you need FA. I think FA may be an even bigger player into the WL issue
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 566 Member
    Please don’t read too much into the mailings....one school told our tour group last summer that (this year) they are “going Green” and cutting way back on traditional marketing materials. The per-potential-student cost of materials and mailing is expensive. One school had reusable materials....Green and creative. We are seeing more email and social media marketing this year, compared to last year or a few years ago with the nephews. =D>
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    @Sush2016 @momof3swimmers I had the same experience with Loomis. The coach and a swimmer emailed with my applicant several times and also sent a cute postcard signed by the team. However, he did not get in. We had added Loomis late and couldn't get there for the interview, but, I agree with @momof3swimmers that it's just what Loomis does.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    2 things:

My student had gotten a handwritten letter and XMas card from Admissions director at Deerfield and got waitlisted.
    My student told ONE of her schools they were her first choice and got in. To @Center s point. If you do have one school above all others that you want, (others will differ), I think it helps if you tell them if admitted you will go. But you can't play that game with all of them. And it's not really nice to say that if you don't mean it.
    edited December 2017
    DS got several emails and handwritten notes...I think L-ville actually communicated with him the most...he did not get in to L-ville and was WLd by the others.
  • Sush2016Sush2016 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    edited March 10
    Wanted to update ....DS got accepted at Choate. Loomis...the answer was no. Totally did not see the latter coming.....Any who...he is really excited...Choate was his TOP choice. ;;)

He had taken the SSAT again and was at 96 or 97 something like that....Has excellent grades, recommendations, extracurriculars.....and we thought he had good interviews at both places too....so is hard to pinpoint why....Perhaps his enthusiam for Choate was obvious.......
    Congrats!!!!
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 566 Member
    I will tell you this much - there were only 2 schools that didn’t email us back after multiple inquiries...Another, after the second email, sent a rather harsh email stating that they need X & Y athletes....one school never answered email requests, so we did not waste our time applying - we later found out that the school brings in part-time instructors and off-campus coaches...BTW, the schools that offered information and communicated promptly were at the top of our list... Thank you to those AO’s, coaches, and instructors who answered my kid’s email...you set a great example as an adult on how to do things right....As parents, we value communication and respect for the students who are working so hard to apply...it said something about the school culture....maybe not at the top of Forbes list, but at the top of ours.
  • Sush2016Sush2016 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Thank you @GoatMama and @buuzn03!
    @Golfgr8. Choate was prompt in answering any questions and communicating the status...so didn’t mean to suggest that was ever a problem. In fact they were good that way. I think the large amounts of emails that Loomis sent, were “promotional” which they probably sent to everyone. As many have said on this thread one should not read too much into those.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    Something to keep in mind: if you get emails or calls from coaches prior to 3/10, quite often they are fishing for a first choice commitment. If you dont give it you may get waitlisted. Full pay applicants are at a disadvantage in this one instance. Applicants needing aid can demure based on potential aid packages. Coaches talk between schools.
  • offsidesoffsides Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    What @Center says rings true to me as well. My daughter was being recruited to attend school at the last minute for 2017-18, but didnt have FA left. During this application cycle coach was very much pushing to have us give her our first choice and competiton. We indicated they were a top choice, but didnt commit beyond that aside from FA would be a deciding factor. Academically the school was not a stretch for her and not a 'selective' school. We were very suprised on March 10 to essentially be waitlisted (accepted no FA). I feel if we had committed to them as #1 choice the results may have been different.