Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Prep School College Early Action/Early Decision results for seniors

Replies to: Prep School College Early Action/Early Decision results for seniors

• preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,189 Senior Member
    @SevenDad Agree and I think @skieurope HADES has become equivalent to GLADCHEMMS in recent years on this site. Make no mistake about it C is a CHADES school.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,384 Senior Member
    These acronyms are silly.
  • divdaddivdad Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    @CaliMex Participation in those Manhattan clubs and services is not required of alums and many, like you, may have no interest at all. My point is that for those who are interested in participating in the NYC based social and professional networking opportunities these school's alumni networks afford it does matter whether you attend one of these schools or not. Your larger point is spot on...outside of that peculiar bubble, it really doesn't matter much where you went to school and there are lots of academically rigorous colleges. When I lived in Silicon Valley for a few years I found that my Ivy degree was not valued there and college dropouts with start-up funding had more cred.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    Most of the reported matriculations found on school profiles are for four or five years so its difficult at best to tease out one particular year. Wouldn't it be nice if they asterisked certain categories like legacy, etc...joking of course.
    @MAandMEmom I think what you are suggesting is truth in advertising. There is the open debate about whether one should pay for a top private school for the experience itself or for an edge in college admissions. The WSJ and others have analyzed tuition ROI on matriculation success in the past. It's a lot of money and a fair assessment.

I say to each his/her own so if you are investing $50K x 4 years for an edge in admissions you should have an accurate representation of your success rate based on past performance. Wall Street could not legally take $200K from you without some transparency.

If HADES schools are putting up high Ivy matriculation numbers but 80%+ of those are going to legacies, big donors, and URM and you don't fall into one of those categories then some truth in advertising ethics should kick in. If you don't know well enough how much these special categories are at play within these institutions because they are not transparent with that data then you could over estimate your chances of investment success by 4x.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,384 Senior Member
    Here's some truth in advertising - ask any head of school whether they are selling you an education for your child or college matriculation. I have no doubt they'll tell you the former. That's their product. The schools do not owe you any more transparency on their college matriculations. If you object, there are others waiting in the wings for the spot who will value the education and experience beyond Ivy placement.

"Wall Street could not legally take $200K from you without some transparency."
    No relevance here. Apples and oranges.

Legacies, development cases, don't forget recruited athletes, etc. - of course they have an advantage at some colleges, from all high schools not just private or boarding schools. You don't need it spelled out in detail to discount any outliers or realize that if your kid doesn't have a hook, he/she has less chance.

Bottom line:
    not all Ivy admits have a hook
    focus less on prestige and more on fit and your kid will be fine
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,435 Senior Member
    edited January 31
    I think the acronyms are silly, too, but I think we agreed on a thread several years ago that Choate definitely should be included among the most CHASED schools. ;)
    Although I agree with @ChoatieMom we shouldn't get hung up and focused on the acronym and who belongs and who doesn't. The point is that elite BSs may be sending less students to Ivies and elites, but there are some not just Andover and Exeter that have track records worth mentioning.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,435 Senior Member
    edited January 31
    Does anyone here actually think that the high schools are getting these students into the colleges? The “track record” is set on M10; they are cherry-picking students into their ranks who they already know will be good candidates for good colleges. No student is getting into any college just because s/he went to <your-acro-here>.
    ^^I think there are a fraction of students, those who get admitted with full FA, who might have gotten lost in their local public high school, are getting golden tickets to elite colleges because of the opportunities afforded by "your acronym" BS here, but not the majority who as you state are a self selected bunch of over-achievers.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    @divdad - DH and I have been on the AC and faculties of three medical schools in the past 25 years... I think there is still a crude stereotype of boarding schools being perpetuated by posters on CC. Feeding to certain schools, blah, blah, blah... When you look at the amount of FA given by boarding schools and the international population, these schools provide an exceptional experience for students beyond the classroom...what an amazing opportunity to attend BS - it’s not about getting into an Ivy. It’s not a place to use as a launchpad into “elite” colleges. Some parents think of BS as an investment into getting their kids into a highly ranked university. Snap out of it!!

Regarding trying to plot a path from BS to Ivies to elite grad schools: I can tell you that sometimes a degree from a certain “Ivy” actually hurts an applicant because of the school’s poor track record in graduating and preparing students for careers in “real world” medicine. For example, you can’t argue your way out of a medical case. You better be prepared to get your hands dirty. Sorry “Snowflake”, here is a trigger warning: There will be blood.

If you read posts on CC from the past few years you will see that boarding school is not about getting into an “elite” university or an “Ivy”. I agree with @Calimex regarding networking in NYC via university clubs. DH and I never even joined a university-affiliated club in NYC. Also, as members of two large alumni organizations, relatively few graduates even participated in NYC events after graduation. Who has time? I think the BS alumni groups may have even better networking, at least I can speak for the girls schools.

Here is my golf tip for the day...some of the schools (BS and College) often mentioned on CC are like “sucker pins” on the greens. Don’t go for a sucker pin, go for the middle of the green >:/
  • GMC2918GMC2918 Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    @divdad when you're looking at matriculation numbers you need to use %s, otherwise it's not an accurate comparison. The relative difference in graduating class-size between Andover & Groton (for example) is significant.
    edited January 31
    @GMC2918 Completely agree on the % of graduating class as a metric. That's exactly what the WSJ did when they wrote an article that explored the ROI on Ivy matriculation. The article over ten years old at this point but I don't think the % of graduating class numbers have shifted too much since then.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/SB108085665347972031.htm

@skieurope Though I agree with your sentiments that a great student will do well in almost any school there has been some legitimate scholarship and research papers published by professional sociologists who specialize in "elites" and how they historically have manipulated advantage for their children.

@Golfgr8 's I appreciate your advice to "Snap out of it!" but you are preaching to the choir. I am aware of the benefits of an BS education as a stand alone product.

I've read Shamus Khan's work and also that of some of his peers. That's where my focus is. Getting back to the original point of the thread, exploring dropping trends in BS EA/ED numbers, what I am curious to understand is are this year's numbers drop a tipping point or an outlier?

Have the accumulation of societal movements -- same sex marriage, taking down the Confederate flag, Black Lives Matter, #MeToo, #TimesUp, finally come knocking on the admissions offices of the Ivy League?

Will the admissions committees collectively step away from decades old, even centuries old, relationships with elite private schools and stop giving private schools disproportionate slots in their incoming classes and open up their doors to the public school 99%? If not now then when? And like it or not some families view these schools as stepping stones (i.e. the WSJ article linked above) and when they are no longer stepping stones what will that do to their perceived value? Finland, as a counter example, has outlawed private schools.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html
    Post edited by vonlost on
  • GMC2918GMC2918 Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    Completely anecdotal, but among my DD's friends at BS and NYC private schools, some of the top "unhooked"applicants have already anticipated the increase in ED apps (and subsequent competitiveness) and are using their ED opportunity to target other, non-HYP schools. My nephew, a tippy-top kid, didn't want to "waste" his early application on Harvard. He applied ED to Duke instead and got in. Not that Duke is all that easy, but taking that chance on Harvard wasn't worth it to him, because if he didn't get in SCEA, chances are he wouldn't have made it in to Duke during regular admissions. At least that was his thinking and I would imagine, the thinking of his CC. At a couple NYC schools that I'm familiar with, HYP early apps have been decreasing slightly, while the Dukes, Bowdoins and Tufts (and many more) have been increasing. I wonder if others have noticed the same.