right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

Replies to: Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

• buuzn03buuzn03 1677 replies15 threads Senior Member
    @RuralAmerica I just got out the tissues. I can't imagine empty nest just yet and being a single parent with minimal distractions...wow, that had to have been tough! Kudos to you, my friend, for sacrificing this for your girl!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • cj9623cj9623 21 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I had to get the tissues out (again) when reading them all! I especially can appreciate the Wizard of Oz reference. I appreciate everyone's candor, and the advice to just feel all the emotions because it IS hard. Sending virtual hugs to all of you!
    · Reply · Share
    @cj9623 I agree that @twinsmama hit the nail on the head with Oz analogy. Meanwhile, I’ve realized how spoiled I’ve become with DSs calls/texts because I haven’t heard from him in over 24 hours and I’m going crazy! I just sent him a tantrum gif (now that I know classes are over for the day...). Hopefully that will get a response lol.

If you ever need commiserating, you have plenty of people here who feel your pain...& will feel your pride/joy!
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatMamaGoatMama 1321 replies12 threads Senior Member
    @cj9623 You're not alone. These trepidations grow as the reality of BS encroaches. My own freaking out a couple of year ago left behind some gracious words of wisdom by fellow CC parents. You too may find them helpful:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1864384-im-leaving-i-love-you-but-im-leaving-p1.html. Best wishes!
    · Reply · Share
    @GoatMama reading that thread was a huge surprise to me...I never would have pictured you in that state...you seem so in control of this whole situation...I'll admit, you were one of the very first who struck a chord with me when I joined CC...I can't remember the contact, but you calmed me down and gave me so much encouragement..I'll always be grateful for that....nice to know even the greatest warriors may have a chink in their armor!
    · Reply · Share
    ^no. You may not. That is unacceptable
    · Reply · Share
  • preppedparentpreppedparent 3341 replies10 threads Senior Member
    ^^if it didn't wreak havoc on their confidence, rejection wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    · Reply · Share
    @ChoatieMom choatieDad’s biggest fear—that ChostieMom will never get off this board!!! =))
    @ChoatieDad my fear....that one day I’ll wait for @ChoatieMom’s insightful response and it never comes..... 8-X
    That was a great thread!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom 1898 replies60 threads Senior Member
  • RuralAmericaRuralAmerica 218 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @buuzn03 my heart goes out to you. It is always the worst after breaks and visits. The time together is always perfect and that makes the goodbye so much harder. It’s OK to feel the way you do! I’m sure we all understand and most of us feel the same way! It’s alright to be selfish in those emotions because no matter how amazing the opportunity, it’s still hard to say goodbye every time. Thank goodness for this forum and the group of parents that totally get what you’re feeling. It’s normal to have days where you hate BS! We’re here for you!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks @RuralAmerica I usually am just peachy, but dang I miss my boy today.
    · Reply · Share
  • dramakid2dramakid2 248 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Awww @buuzn03 I’m so sorry it’s been a rough day. I completely understand and know how hard it is to be separated. Giving your son the opportunity to go to BS and get a world class education is a selfless act of love. It’s so hard and a huge sacrifice for families on so many levels. If my son gets into BS this year I’m sure we’ll have those days in our future, too. All my best to you, I hope your week gets better.
    · Reply · Share
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom 1898 replies60 threads Senior Member
    My heart, too. @buuzn03 !

You might not believe me right now but it does get better... and right when you start feeling content and happy knowing he's happy .... and the entire family has found their rhythm and everything is popping on all cylinders- BAM! You're four years older and on a plane heading for Commencement and your kid is going to college! Just like that. How did THAT even happen?? Feel better? :)

Now back up a minute!!

Anonymous Valentine? We have secret admirer??? Does he know who it is? Should we be excited? Do you like how I'm using "We"?

You're going to need to buck up, mom! We want details!! ;)
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, everyone! I just hung up from FaceTime with him, as we are back home in Texas. Things are back to normal. He’s a goof on the screen & his making me laugh pulled me out of my funk. @PhotographerMom you are just like DH & I were with the whole valentine thing. He says it’s a pity valentine. I was having none of that. Then he says he doesn’t know who it is because the card was signed “anonymous “ but the smirk on his face every time we bring it up...he knows. So, I started going through his Instagram account and his dad was of course, needling him about all of the girls he’s following. We are moving into stealth mode...we will figure this out! Lol his dad will never let him live this one down!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • cj9623cj9623 21 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @buuzn03 your post totally made me tear up. That is so going to be me - if god-willing - my kid gets in. For now, I'm going to squeeze my kid extra hard today.
    @hellomaisy Happy Birthday to your DS! I truly can't believe how fast time flies.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity