Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

13»

Replies to: Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

• buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 718 Member
    @ChoatieMom choatieDad’s biggest fear—that ChostieMom will never get off this board!!! =))
    @ChoatieDad my fear....that one day I’ll wait for @ChoatieMom’s insightful response and it never comes..... 8-X
    That was a great thread!!!
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
  • RuralAmericaRuralAmerica Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @buuzn03 my heart goes out to you. It is always the worst after breaks and visits. The time together is always perfect and that makes the goodbye so much harder. It’s OK to feel the way you do! I’m sure we all understand and most of us feel the same way! It’s alright to be selfish in those emotions because no matter how amazing the opportunity, it’s still hard to say goodbye every time. Thank goodness for this forum and the group of parents that totally get what you’re feeling. It’s normal to have days where you hate BS! We’re here for you!
    Thanks @RuralAmerica I usually am just peachy, but dang I miss my boy today.
  • dramakid2dramakid2 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Awww @buuzn03 I’m so sorry it’s been a rough day. I completely understand and know how hard it is to be separated. Giving your son the opportunity to go to BS and get a world class education is a selfless act of love. It’s so hard and a huge sacrifice for families on so many levels. If my son gets into BS this year I’m sure we’ll have those days in our future, too. All my best to you, I hope your week gets better.
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    My heart, too. @buuzn03 !

You might not believe me right now but it does get better... and right when you start feeling content and happy knowing he's happy .... and the entire family has found their rhythm and everything is popping on all cylinders- BAM! You're four years older and on a plane heading for Commencement and your kid is going to college! Just like that. How did THAT even happen?? Feel better? :)

Now back up a minute!!

Anonymous Valentine? We have secret admirer??? Does he know who it is? Should we be excited? Do you like how I'm using "We"?

You're going to need to buck up, mom! We want details!! ;)
    Thanks, everyone! I just hung up from FaceTime with him, as we are back home in Texas. Things are back to normal. He’s a goof on the screen & his making me laugh pulled me out of my funk. @PhotographerMom you are just like DH & I were with the whole valentine thing. He says it’s a pity valentine. I was having none of that. Then he says he doesn’t know who it is because the card was signed “anonymous “ but the smirk on his face every time we bring it up...he knows. So, I started going through his Instagram account and his dad was of course, needling him about all of the girls he’s following. We are moving into stealth mode...we will figure this out! Lol his dad will never let him live this one down!!!
  • hellomaisyhellomaisy Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    I agree with @PhotographerMom. It is so hard, but it does get better (at least, a bit). DS turned 18 this weekend. I went up to see him the night before, and held his face in my hands as tears streamed down my cheeks. Where in the world did 18 years go? About 30 mins prior to the tears, I had the chance to hear the entire senior class sing happy birthday to him, the 2nd time he was sung to that day (the first time was the entire school). He is beloved by his friends and faculty and secure in himself and polite and well-spoken and has a great circle of close friends. It is more than I could have ever hoped for him... a kid who had been bullied in middle school and was painfully shy prior to BS. BS has given him the chance to stretch and grow and find himself. And I love that. His sister is considering going away next year for 9th. That will be a new trial. But for now, I have to be confident that we've absolutely done the right thing. :)
13»