Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

cj9623cj9623 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
At the risk of sounding ridiculous, is anyone else freaking out about the possibility of their kid actually getting IN to the BS they've been dreaming of.... and then having to actually LET THEM GO!? Parents of BS kids, how do you deal with not spending their birthdays with them? How do you cope with not seeing them for weeks or months? Does it get easier? I know it's an amazing opportunity for my kid, and I know I'm being a little presumptuous here, but I want to be prepared. I think I'm going to need to be medicated on M10. LOL

Replies to: Freaking out that my kid WILL get in?

• buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    I think we all had these panic moments....and sometimes still do! Mine really didn't get bad until close to move-in day....my DS and I are very very close, so I think it shocked many people that I was so calm. Especially since we live over 2000 miles away!

I didn't even cry until about 2 weeks after drop off....my daughter had to make a book covered with ephemeral items....she showed me her finished product and on it was a sticky note my son had written when he was going out for a run...super simple, but so him. I lost it. Bawled like a baby.

I'm not going to lie and say it's all cake and balloons...but he FaceTimes several days per week...and every time I see him in his element, it makes it easier knowing this was the perfect decision. I see such growth in him in areas I never thought he'd expand...I even see more appreciation from him for his family & home.

He comes home holidays...I went up Parent's weekeand we are going up again on President's Day weekend. I think the longest we've been apart is about 6-8 weeks. I miss him most after immediately I see him & get to spend time with him...it's more apparent then the void his absence brings to our family. But then we settle back in to routine and almost nightly FaceTime sessions. And again I see how he's flourishing and it's all worth it.

Go ahead and freak out....we'd worry if you didn't! But I think you'll find that it ends up being easier than you expect.
  • infinityprep1234infinityprep1234 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    When my older kid told that she will apply, my husband was opposed to it. He told her that no way with three kids in house he is gonna pay for her. But daughter kept insisting and recruited her siblings to let her apply. She did and when need based award came, we were surprised. Last year second daughter also got into. Now my husband has changed of heart, and he ask my third kid and asking him to apply.

We went from a no way family to yes yes family. After all we have to let our own kids make their own choices. What do we know about future.
    edited February 1
    @infinityprep1234 when DS first asked me, he was 9...I think I actually shouted the word NO :)) now DD is researching schools....sigh
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,591 Senior Member
    For us, birthdays have been the hardest. We haven’t celebrated our son’s birthday with him since he was 14. He’ll be 21 next week, the BIG one, and we won’t be there yet again. We always celebrate when he comes home for spring break, but it’s not the same. Especially this one.

As for freaking out about getting in, I was the odd parent here who was praying her kid did NOT get into his first choice college. Of course, he did. You just deal with it. Remember, it’s all about them, not us.
  • hellomaisyhellomaisy Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    March 10 was a little bit hard, but I knew how badly he wanted it and so it was hard to not be excited with/for him. Drop off day 3 years ago was the hardest thing I've ever done. We hugged goodbye at the student center and he walked - alone - across the quad to the new students meet-up place for orientation... I watched him walk away from me and the urge to scream, "No, stop, WAIT!" was almost overwhelming. But he has thrived, and we LOVE watching him in his element...a "BMOC", as his adviser likes to tell us.
    His sister, 8th grade, has applied for next year. She's our baby and, well, I would love for her to stay home and go through high school sports and prom and drama with us here. But, alas, it isn't about me, and it's what she's wanted since she was 7. I'm not sure how it will play out. If she gets in and goes, I'll join you for a drink on March 10...and again on Aug 26.
  • blevineblevine Registered User Posts: 841 Member
    edited February 1
    Look at it this way...will be easier when they go to college ;-)
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,591 Senior Member
    And if “transport” means flights, the financial burden is even heavier.
    edited February 2
    ^we changed our credit card to a southwest card, and have been racking up miles....so far, almost all of DS' flights home have either been covered by those miles earned, or SWA gift cards we got for birthdays & Christmas.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 959 Member
    Do FA packages include $ for travel?
  • narcissediaz98narcissediaz98 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    @dramakid2 so many similarities in our story. I went to BS too and DD has grown up knowing how impactful that time of my life was and how much I would want her to experience the same. We had her in a local private school that was a 45 minute commute each day up thru last year and that really affected her ability to participate in ECs and it definitely affected her sleep pattern. She was a zombie most days and slept in the car all the time. Luckily we found a great online school to enroll her in this year which has solved a lot of those issues and if M10 doesn’t work out in her favor, she is happy with the program she is in now to use as a solid plan B.