Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FYI: Exeter Principal to Leave

2»

Replies to: FYI: Exeter Principal to Leave

• SatchelSFSatchelSF Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    edited February 9
    Lisa MacFarlane is returning to UNH in some unspecified role. Even the President of the entire UNH system earns about 30-40% less than the Principal of Exeter. And MacFarlane is not going to be running anything again I bet.

David Hume pretty much settled the debate about what is 100% knowable almost 300 years ago, but I suspect that even he would have had little reason to be skeptical that MacFarlane was forced out. I wonder if the kids at Exeter today have any time to learn about Hume, what with all the pressing social justice issues to mull over?
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    Someone please let Choate's headmaster know there is an opening. I think both schools could benefit with a change.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,912 Senior Member
    edited February 9
    I wouldn't assume all folks make a decision purely on $$. I wouldn't take a headmaster job right now even if they doubled the current salary.

As an example, you have to deal with crap like this that would predate your tenure yet you still get the fallout:
    http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180206/ex-phillips-exeter-teacher-accused-of-sexual-misconduct
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,653 Super Moderator
    Even the President of the entire UNH system earns about 30-40% less than the Principal of Exeter.
    According to the 990's, the base salary for each is comparable. Analyzing the "other" (housing/retirement, etc) is a bit of apples and oranges. But I get the point that she is certainly not returning to UNH for the money.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 959 Member
    Sooo ... SPS and Exeter will both be looking for new heads this year... I heard the runner-up for the Thacher job was from SAS. I wonder if she might get one of those jobs.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,153 Senior Member
    @doschicos The principal did inherit some serious issues (that were largely quite far back in history). She has been at the helm though under which numerous --and serious--current issues have really harmed the school: multiple incidents regarding sex-in two cases expelled the boys despite complete lack of evidence (one of which resulted in a court decision finding against the school for gender discrimination-requiring reinstatement and large penalties to be paid by the school.) There have been others-one just unfolding presently. Another relationship gone wrong-boy forced into medical leave and then expelled. No legitimate investigation. Yet the school is rife with drugs and alcohol. Kids get multiple chances. MLK Day debacle--and teachers with no interest in fair and balanced political views. She has effectively abdicated control of the school to socio- political agendas. Never apologizes--makes excuses. A disaster.
2»