Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FYI: Exeter Principal to Leave

momof3nycmomof3nyc Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
My previous post violated the terms of the website, but did want to make the community aware that Lisa MacFarlane will be leaving Exeter at the conclusion of this school year and returning to UNH. Hers is an awfully short tenure, having only been at the school for 2.5 years.
More information can probably be found on the website. The announcement today contained a note from the BoT and a note from Principal MacFarlane.

Replies to: FYI: Exeter Principal to Leave

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,134 Senior Member
    Wow. Short tenure!

A lot of head of school positions to fill - this, SPS (leaving in 2019), NMH. Any others?
  • SatchelSFSatchelSF Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    edited February 2
    Excellent news I am sure for many who have been extremely disappointed with her tenure. No doubt the recent MLK Day fiasco played a role.
  • narcissediaz98narcissediaz98 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    @SatchelSF what happened on MLK Day?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,558 Super Moderator
    edited February 2
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    @SatchelSF what happened on MLK Day?
    Let's not derail the thread, but to answer the question:
    https://www.factsoverfeelings.org/blog/activist-lourdes-ashley-hunter-loses-control-verbally-abuses-student-during-high-school-keynote

Further discussion warrants a separate thread. But keep in mind that the previous thread on the MLK topic got out of hand quickly and another mod deleted it for ToS violations.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • narcissediaz98narcissediaz98 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Oh boy, thanks for the scoop @skieurope :-S
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this @momof3nyc
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 755 Member
    This type of information is very important to know. For some families, it will impact decisions. Where you send your child and what information they are "taught" is going to be a big issue ahead. I'd personally like to know about something like this. Must have been really uncomfortable for the student.
    @Happytimes2001 this occurred in front of the entire assembly and a faculty member was also involved. It was a horrendous situation and the leadership is at fault--well beyond the primcipal alone but of course she sets the tone
  • GnarWhailGnarWhail Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    edited February 3
    Very interesting link provided to give the story. 10 seconds reading that site should be enough to heavily discount the facts presented there. Now I wonder what really happened...

Why do I suspect the student was doing his best to cause a problem because of the nature of the event? I wonder what Ben Shapiro thinks about this??
    @GnarWhail actually what happened was far worse than what is outlined on that link. The student was not agitating: his question was in response to comments made by the speaker which made little sense.
  • dowzerwdowzerw Registered User Posts: 2,474 Senior Member
    Hotchkiss now has a solid, strong, capable head of school in place who has elevated the overall atmosphere. After several years of transition, it is good to be on the other side, with a steady leader at the helm, buckled in for the long haul. Transitions are scary but that doesn't mean bad.
  • momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    My child’s first hand account of what happened in the keynote was worse than is stated in the article. However he knows someone who was in the breakout session and that was horrendous as well.
    Wonder if the increase in these kinds of incidents had anything to do with ousting her:
    http://www.unionleader.com/Jury-sides-with-PEA-student-fighting-expulsion-over-sexual-encounter
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,134 Senior Member
    edited February 9
    Can you confirm 100% that she was actually ousted or is that just speculation?