Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools with Academic Support

Replies to: Schools with Academic Support

• momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2/E kiddo? A kid who is dyslexic/dysgraphic but “gifted”? When looking at schools for SwimKid2, we are struggling. He wants the challenging school environment but needs some support for writing and uses assistive technology (iPad)
  • vwlizardvwlizard Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    @momof3swimmers We really liked New Hampton. They could do the full IB program and also receive academic support. They talked about the teachers all following the same writing program and how they knew which areas were of concern within the program for kids on AS. A lot of communication between AS staff and classroom teachers. New Hampton is also an Apple Distinguished school and had the best iPad integration of all of the school we looked at. I believe Apple was integral from the start with their iPad integration and building the program.
    We have not visited Cushing yet, but that might also be a place to look.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 739 Member
    I think most of the schools listed here in this thread could be a match. What are his interests? And do you prefer a bigger or smaller school?
    That NMH thread has me interested!! And i love a school with fully integrated iPad programs. That is what he has now, so New Hampton is on the list! I’ve never even heard of it. Not sure yet on size, etc. he’s still in 6th but I want him to start researching a bit this summer. The only schools he really knows anything about are A/E.
    So much will change from 6th grade til application time. Get an updated neuropsych toward the middle of 7th and by then you'll have a better feel of what level of academic support he'll need (writing center vs. 1:1 writing instruction/ accommodations vs. dedicated planned academic support time). Many schools have a range, so there's flexibility, but I"m going with the "better to start with too much than get into a situation where there isn't enough" philosophy.

If you like what you hear about NMH, you should also look at Berkshire.
  • dramakid2dramakid2 Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    As a mom of a current 6th grader, I truly appreciate the advice in your post @vwlizard
    Thank you @vwlizard we are planning to do an update neuropsych just as you suggest! And I love your philosophy!

We’ll take a look at berkshire! What are your thoughts on Suffield? I have been thinking it might be the right balance for him but who knows lol!!!
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 895 Member
    A friend’s son attends Culver and they are very pleased with accommodations and support there. I think they may have a later deadline, also.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 895 Member
    Sorry - the later deadline is for the summer school at Culver :-$
    Suffield has a great reputation and is also on the rise I think and very well liked by the families there. Suffield was the only school we found that offers mindfulness - so helpful! We also loved Dublin and they have robust support - it is similar to NMH in a cute, much smaller package. Admissions spent an entire day with us when we toured and took a lot of time getting to know our family. We were looking forward to New Hampton but my daughter was accepted as a late applicant at a few schools before we got the chance to tour there. If you visit Berkshire, I would also consider Mercersberg depending on your interests and locale. NMH is very writing heavy which might be a negative for your son but definitely worth a look. NMH support is not as robust as some other schools in this thread , however, they also do not charge an extra fee to access support and it is available to all students. Berkshire's science building is nicer than most LACs and they are known for great support (you apply to receive it as part of your application and there is an extra fee but it is comprehensive and well integrated)
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Does Berkshire charge for support?
    To clarify, students can get some support at every school but for certain schools who offer more comprehensive support (daily meetings with academic mentors for example or support for specific LDs), there is an extra fee and sometimes extra steps to apply (usually just your neuropsych testing or IEP etc) for support. It is better to sign up for too much support vs too little because schools plan for a certain number of student hours and it can be hard to add additional support if you do not sign up for it when you enroll.
    @CaliMex You know I might be giving out of date info here re Berkshire because I just looked all through their website and lookbook and there is no mention of extra fees for support and surprisingly little info regarding extra support in general beyond the typical "learning center" plug. The school may have moved in a new direction since we looked several years ago. Hopefully a parent more familiar with the current support framework there will chime in.
    I've also found it incredibly helpful to actually speak with the Directors of Academic Support either in person at open houses or over the phone. Once you have an updated neuropsych, most will be happy to look at it and let you know if they can offer that level of support, what it would look like and how they handle the nitty-gritty such as AS/classroom teacher communication, parent communication, etc.