Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools with Academic Support

1234568»

Replies to: Schools with Academic Support

• dramakid2dramakid2 Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    edited January 4
    Is anyone familiar with Woodbury Forest and their academic support? I am considering all-boys for my 7th grader who will apply to schools for Fall 2020. He will have a neuropsych evaluation next week.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    Yay @vwlizard!! Congrats! That’s great news.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    Congrats @vwlizard ! :bz
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    edited January 16
    Chimneykid2 has had some good news this week too - her art is going to be included at a local art festival and the scene she wrote is being performed there too! Her school’s first time exhibiting and performing as part of this mostly adult festival . Very fun!
  • dramakid2dramakid2 Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    Congratulations @vwlizard , so happy for you and your son!

Exciting news @chemmchimney , your daughter must be very excited and proud!
  • CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Wow, @vwlizard — congrats! I didn’t realize Forman did their admissions early. How exciting to be done. I was wondering where your son ended up applying. We visited and felt that it wasn’t the right place for DS, but it seems like an awesome school. CTKid#1 has a friend who attends. I was just thinking how we were there last year this time — MLK Jr. day.
  • vwlizardvwlizard Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    @CTMom21 - They have rolling admissions, so once all of your information is in, they will start the process.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    Great news, @vwlizard and @chemmchimney !
  • LeeLeeBLeeLeeB Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Vermont Academy has academic support. We just had a personal tour by an AO. He said they have a program for kids who learn differently. He took us to that study area (it was a gorgeous, cozy library like space). I think he said there are several tutors in there, and one staff (teacher?) In charge He also said that though designed for kids who learn differently (he gave an example of executive functioning), in reality, any kid who is struggling in any class is encouraged to use this resource. He said 90% of the school's students will by graduation have used this room (and those tutors) at least once. He gave the example of his own daughter never using it, until she was surprised to find herself really struggling in a higher level math class, so she dropped in, and got a lot of consistent help, and pulled through.

I like that everyone can use this program too, tutors....I wish I could remember what it was called!), so no stigma. I also liked that he had the attitude that yes, there are kids who learn differently and need support, but guess what? Everyone struggles sometimes. I think kids who enter with identified learning disabilities (LD) are required to go there every so often, whereas for other students, it's a choice (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

This tutoring room for academic support (LD) is located very near the gym, also pretty near dining hall, right get in center if campus. I think that is another plus.

The AO man said that about 30% of the student population has some way they learn differently (LD). Vermont Academy seemed prepared for kids who need support. Having said that, our tour was not overly focused on LD kids, and if you visit, I don't think at all this school has a feel of being primarily for LD kids (it's not). It seems like a regular, cool boarding school (it is).

Also, the mandatory study hall is more monitored for kids who need academic support. There are different locations of where one can study, and when you and your grades show you can go to a different location and still have productive studying, then you can, for example, study in your room. 9th graders spend the first several weeks in the more structured setting, until staff has gotten to know the kids better and see what works for each kid).

There is of course the resource of studying after class hours with your teacher, made easy because the teachers live on campus. This is a resource most boarding schools offer.

Also, the school is very aware if a kid's grade dips. They will work as a team to help the student more. Of that plan isn't working, they let the parent know, and it is possible to do a schedule change to a less rigorous class.

I got a strong impression staff here know each kid as an individual very well, and can get them the support they need.
  • vwlizardvwlizard Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    @LeeLeeB Is VA the first school with academic support you've looked at? If you liked their model Brewster, Kimball Union, New Hampton, Cushing, and Proctor would be similar.

When we visited we were impressed with their arts programs and how enthusiastic the kids were. There were more kids that wanted to be tour guides than there were visitors. It seemed like most of the school wanted to jump in and help. I also liked that kids that were lost in their public schools really found a home there.

And we still talk about the food. It was fantastic.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    For girls, there is Purnell. For Co-Ed, did you look at Forman. Also there is Darrow. We know kids who have received support at Suffield and Cheshire - families happy with those schools.
  • shakeitoffshakeitoff Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Is anyone familiar with Cheshire Academy's Roxbury Academic Support program? Any comments on it will be helpful. My DS got into Cheshire and Brewster with FA and while there are several comments about Brewster, there's barely any about Cheshire in CT. Thanks!
  • shakeitoffshakeitoff Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
  • CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    We looked at Cheshire for my son and although their learning center is heavily publicized and has a good reputation, I was surprised when they told us that only about 10% of students use it. That’s a low number for a program that seems like a centerpiece. I don’t know that it’s a negative; it just struck me as odd.
1234568»