right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What to wear

dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 460 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
I am not talking move in day. There are so many meat the headmaster, reception for this, reception for that. I am overwhelmed with not knowing what to wear to all these things since my default is jeans and flip flops LOL.
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What to wear

• CaliMexCaliMex 1760 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It probably depends on the school. Jeans and flip flops would be right at home at Thacher...as would cowboy boots.
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 434 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    Yes, I can speak to New England boarding schools, don't know if you mean one of them. I wear nice pants and a jacket or nice cardigan. Maybe a silk scarf. Some other parents will be more dressy, in a suit, or heels. Some less dressy.
    · Reply · Share
  • msc3173msc3173 27 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I’m a flip flop, T-shirt/jeans wearing person and I have decided in my old age that I’m not going to change. If it is colder I may wear a sweater and Uggs. I used to stress all the time because I don’t have dressy items in my closet. Once I decided to just do me I felt such a weight lifted off. You could always wear black jeans to dress up your outfit.
    · Reply · Share
  • HMom16HMom16 702 replies18 threadsRegistered User Member
    It's a busy day, wear what is comfortable. No one will remember what you wear and there is nothing wrong with showing your authentic self.
    · Reply · Share
  • dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 460 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    It ended up being a chilly day which made it much easier for me to pick something - just went with pants and a blazer. A bit boring but also easy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 1379 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For comfort, cashmere and cool jeans. No flip flops seen indoors. There is a woman I have seen at multiple events who wears high tech outdoor gear. Most people seem to be dressed as though they are going to a nicer event.
    · Reply · Share
  • CateCAParentCateCAParent 188 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    This has to be a regional thing. I don’t remember there being much of a dress code for move in day at Cate. We love our flip flops in California. Definitely function over form rules the day. But I am sure there were really nicely dressed parents, too.

There is an awesome thread from a couple years ago on dressing for move in day. Cracks me up. According to that, tennis or equestrian gear should be just fine. Just be sure to wear pearls.
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 79 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    This has to be a regional thing. I don’t remember there being much of a dress code for move in day at Cate. We love our flip flops in California. Definitely function over form rules the day. But I am sure there were really nicely dressed parents, too.

There is an awesome thread from a couple years ago on dressing for move in day. Cracks me up. According to that, tennis or equestrian gear should be just fine. Just be sure to wear pearls.

I think the OP specifically said this was NOT for move in day. For move in anything goes. I think she meant events like meeting the headmaster which for many schools I think flip flops would look a little odd at.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 1760 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @one1ofeach At California boarding schools like Cate and Thacher, you can pretty much wear whatever you'd like for all events. The atmosphere is quite casual.
    · Reply · Share
  • CateCAParentCateCAParent 188 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I missed that part, thanks for correcting me. But yeah, you can go pretty casual at Cate for most things. Runs the gamut - there are fancy people, too. It isn’t an easy campus for wearing heels tho.

The kids have to dress up once a week for their speaker series, and some other special events. If parents were to attend those, probably they would want to match the dress code.
    · Reply · Share
  • dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 460 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    @CateCAParent I think that's exactly what I'm thinking - generally, it seems a good idea to basically match the dress code for events even though the dress code is totally unenforced. Which leads me to ask why not just re-write it to reflect what is actually going on? Maybe they figure with the dress code at X level the kids at least dress at Y level but if they switched to a casual dress code it would devolve into total dishevelment? Anyone who saw me would know that I am clearly a fan of dishevelment but I get that many NE schools are not!
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1031 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    At Parents Weekend - the dads in the NE schools tend to wear a jacket/blazer or sweater - usually match the dress code. Women wear everything from nice pants & sweater, jacket-shirt-pants, or skirt/dress attire - depends on the weather. Most schools have scheduled athletic events and other outdoor activities that weekend, so do bring a change of footwear with you in the car to school - we brought a change of clothes (school sweatshirt) & shoes to school for the soccer game, for example. Also, the fields and parking areas get muddy!
    · Reply · Share
  • MariFeighMariFeigh 50 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We have a parents weekend coming up. Thanks to everyone who has provided input. Anyone else want to contribute? I'm STILL nervous about what to wear, LOL. Last year was a verrrry tough year, healthwise, and I just don't feel like myself...sigh.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21123 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Please don't spend much time worrying about it, @MariFeigh! The vast, vast majority will not care. And in the off chance someone is that superficial and judgmental, you shouldn't give a rat's patootie about them because they aren't worth your time.
    · Reply · Share
  • MariFeighMariFeigh 50 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thanks, @doschicos.

Transitions are hard. When I see parents who look tired, I get it now, LOL. I will take your advice and combine it with a lot of deep breathing.
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1031 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    More @ “what to wear?”....we were up at school this weekend for a game in the greater Boston (north) corridor and wanted to repeat my advice to bring an extra pair of shoes - especially comfy ones that can withstand wet fields or mud. The rain and leaves have made the fields rather muddy. Bring a pair of boots or shoes if you have to watch a game on a field. You can leave them in the car. Also, be prepared for parking in a field or down a dirt road to get to Parents Weekend events. Do make dining reservations way ahead of time. Dress warm and comfortable - nobody really cares what you wear, except yourself (of course) or (if your like me) your spouse/partner (LOL)!
    · Reply · Share