right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Dance programs at Hotchkiss and Choate

letsrock20letsrock20 5 replies1 threads New Member
Hello, May I ask between Hotchkiss and Choate, which school offers better dance programs? Thanks!
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dance programs at Hotchkiss and Choate

  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5325 replies249 threads Senior Member
    Which is better, vanilla or chocolate? Only you can decide which program best meets what you are looking for. What type(s) of dance do you do? What are your performance goals? I can't speak directly to either program, but you need to be more specific about what you wish to get from and contribute to a program before anyone with experience can give you meaningful answers.
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1145 replies20 threads Senior Member
    We looked at dance programs at SPS, Deerfield, Choate, Hotchkiss, Emma & MPS. Our DD wanted a Dance Company. We also considered which school programs offered varied performance opportunities. Keep in mind that joining a Dance Company may demand more hours than you are prepared to commit to in BS. IMHO, SPS & Deerfield offered strong Dance Company programs among the co-ed schools. Choate had a couple of options depending on your interests including a step group. MPS & Emma had excellent dance programs and companies, also. So, do consider those. SPS was more classical-ballet in focus - with serious dancers, some of whom pursue professional programs. Deerfield had a combination of excellent dance program offerings and performance opportunities as well as Company. The school offered more options for dancers who wanted to also pursue other EC’s, such as a sport or music - in addition to dance.
    · Reply · Share
  • letsrock20letsrock20 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Sorry, I should have provided more details. We are looking for a dance program that has more focus on classical ballet with somewhat intensive training, ballet company or not. I couldn't find much information about dance programs in Hotchkiss and Choate.
    ChoatieMom wrote: »
    Which is better, vanilla or chocolate? Only you can decide which program best meets what you are looking for. What type(s) of dance do you do? What are your performance goals? I can't speak directly to either program, but you need to be more specific about what you wish to get from and contribute to a program before anyone with experience can give you meaningful answers.

    · Reply · Share
  • letsrock20letsrock20 5 replies1 threads New Member
    @Golfgr8 This is so helpful!! Thank you very much! We discovered St.Paul might have the best dance program among BSs, but not sure if that's going to be too much as my DD is not pursuing dance as her major, rather as an EC which she feels so passionate about. We do like what we learned about the Deerfield dance program.

    Golfgr8 wrote: »
    We looked at dance programs at SPS, Deerfield, Choate, Hotchkiss, Emma & MPS. Our DD wanted a Dance Company. We also considered which school programs offered varied performance opportunities. Keep in mind that joining a Dance Company may demand more hours than you are prepared to commit to in BS. IMHO, SPS & Deerfield offered strong Dance Company programs among the co-ed schools. Choate had a couple of options depending on your interests including a step group. MPS & Emma had excellent dance programs and companies, also. So, do consider those. SPS was more classical-ballet in focus - with serious dancers, some of whom pursue professional programs. Deerfield had a combination of excellent dance program offerings and performance opportunities as well as Company. The school offered more options for dancers who wanted to also pursue other EC’s, such as a sport or music - in addition to dance.

    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21568 replies226 threads Senior Member
    letsrock20 wrote: »
    @Golfgr8 This is so helpful!! Thank you very much! We discovered St.Paul might have the best dance program among BSs, but not sure if that's going to be too much as my DD is not pursuing dance as her major, rather as an EC which she feels so passionate about. We do like what we learned about the Deerfield dance program.

    No majors in high school. At SPS, students can take dance classes for credit. They can additionally treat it as their sport for each trimester by being in the dance company which is by audition.



    · Reply · Share
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 901 replies72 threads Member
    From what I'm aware, Choate has a good dance program. I'm not a member of any dance group, but I have friends who are. There are numerous dance classes ranging from theory to composition, an afternoon dance activity, Dance Company, Hip-Hop Club, Step Squad, et cetera. You can also do the Arts Concentration signature program and zone in on dance.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity