right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Dewan is a senior at UT San Antonio majoring in Microbiology/Immunology. She'll be taking over our Instagram account today to share "A day in her life." Head over to our page for an exclusive view of a student's life during COVID-19!
Gap year on your mind? Learn how you can travel the globe and get college credit! REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Harker or Proof School in NorCal for mathy kid

RonnymomRonnymom 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited August 8 in Prep School Parents
My son is a very mathy kid who does math problems for fun. He is going into 8th grade and will be doing PreCalculus this coming Fall. PreCalculus in 8th grade is not unusual in my area where there are many kids who are advanced in math.
We would be applying to private schools for his 9th grade year. I am looking at both Harker and Proof school for High School. More specifically, I am looking at their post-AP math program. I see that Harker offers the usual Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Discrete math and a few other topics. I looked at Proof school and they offer a lot more options for post-Calculus level (obviously, because they are a math oriented school). My son ultimately wants to double major in physics and math when he goes to college. He has zero interest in math competitions and has instead spent time participating in university Math Circles, reading fun math books and working on challenging math proofs as a hobby. Given this temperament, I am wondering if he will thrive in Harker where the math department seems to be oriented towards mentoring its top talented students for competition success. I am not sure if he is mathy enough to get into Proof School given that he has a rather broad exposure to various areas of math rather than a deep focus on any one area.
Could anyone help me out with information on how a mathy but not very competitive kid might fare in the admissions process in both of these schools?
edited August 8
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harker or Proof School in NorCal for mathy kid

• spoonbenderspoonbender 13 replies1 threads New Member
    Hi, I can't speak to the admissions process as we didn't apply to those, but we did tour Proof a couple of years ago. I was under the impression that Proof was for curious, inquisitive kids and that you don't have to be competitive. My kid did not apply -- too small. What about Nueva, have you looked at that?
    · Reply · Share
  • yearstogoyearstogo 868 replies30 threads Member
    DS went to MathPath a few years ago and one of the instructors was from Proof School, Sam Vandervelde. Pretty amazing guy and my son could not stop talking about him and his classes.

If he is still at the Proof School then I would definitely go there, although admittedly I am not familiar with the Harker School. Best of luck!
    · Reply · Share