Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

US Boarding school 2011

bv868bv868 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
edited February 2010 in Prep School Parents
our d wants to apply boarding schools in 2011. which schoos a top schools? locations is not a big problem. what we should do now interms of preprations. thanks!
Post edited by bv868 on

Replies to: US Boarding school 2011

• A7X Forever=)A7X Forever=) Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    i think that you shouldn't base that schools you are applying to based on its ranking or how well know it is. You should look for a school that your child feels comfortable at and that "fits"
  • lax4545lax4545 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Exeter, deerfield, st. pauls,andover, lawrencivile, groton, st. marks, st, georges, hocthkiss
  • Rad-in-Plaid96Rad-in-Plaid96 Registered User Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    *cough* TAFT, tabor, NMH, Emma Willard, Miss Porter's, Cate, Thacher, Episcopal, CHOATE, Milton, Middlesex,and about a million more! :)
  • bv868bv868 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks for the feedback! How should she prepare, like ssat. when is the best time taking the test? do kids prep a lot for the test inorder to get into the idea schools? Thanks!
  • jaharrison1620jaharrison1620 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    From what I understand, the SSATs are not nearly as important as the rest of the application process. Of course your daughter's scores will need to be within some acceptable range for any particular school. The more competitive the school, the higher the score range. But the SSATs shouldn't make or break the deal.

I think you can take the test beginning in September. You can also opt not to have scores sent to the schools until after you see what they are. I'm sure if you look around on CC, you'll find much more detailed info. on the SSATs. My daughter used a book purchased from a local bookstore to help her prepare. She didn't spend tons of time on it and did well enough to get into a top tier school. However, some kids just naturally test well.

You do need to explore this site, learn about the schools, visit their websites, send away for information, etc. Consider your daughter's strengths and weaknesses, and find a few schools that seem like a good fit. And go from there.

Good luck!
  • A7X Forever=)A7X Forever=) Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    What you should do is buy SSAT practice books to help her get familiar with the book...it may help her (not in my case because the second time i took it i didn't study or do any preparation and I got a better score) Also if you can you should allow your Daughter to take the test once as a practice test then let her take it agian later on in the year...this way she knows what her weaknesses are and it helps her cool her nerves down because she will be more comfortable taking the SSAT...
  • creative1creative1 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    She could take a practice SSAT this Spring. That way, it will give you an idea on what areas she needs to focus on. Also, if she takes it this Spring, it won't be reported to schools next Fall.
    Thanks everyone for your advices! One more question on SSAT. Does SSAT score report list how many time one has taken previously? If I understand correctly, if my daughter took SSAT for practice in this spring without reporting it to any school, then, when she take in it for real in the end of this year, the schools wouldn't know she had taken this test before? Am I right?

Also, how competitive for getting into those big name schools (such as "HEADS")? What kind of kids get in? Does an educational consultant make sense? Plus, how do the west coast schools compare to east coast schools?

Thanks to everyone in advance!!
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    If you are international, a consultant might make sense for you. As far as how hard it is to get in to the top schools, many many highly qualified students are turned down. I think a lot depends on what country you are from, though. If you are from an over-represented country like Korea, I think it's harder.

Please know that there are tons of great schools out there beyond those discussed on this board. And depending on your daughter's personality, interests and academic abilities, where she might even be happier than the so-called "HEADS" or "HADES".

By the way: those two acronymns are only used on CC. If you mention the "HADES" schools beyond CC, people might look at you like you're crazy! I just thought I'd warn you about that!! :)

As for the ssat - I believe the first test of next year's cycle is in October. If she takes it twice within a reporting year (which is different from a calendar year), the schools will only know that she has taken it previously. They won't know the score of the previous tests unless you send them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

(I'll be around next year with my daughter!)
  • sk8sk8 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I think the earliest SSAT the school will take is October. I would not take a real SSAT to practice. You can have one administered under the same conditions. Also, you can do one Flex Test, which means you pay extra to go to an approved center and they administer the test on a mutually convienient date. If you do not like that score, it is never reported, then you can take the regular test the next time.
  • emdeeemdee Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    My d took the SSAT in June as a practice run. We wanted to know what type of schools we should consider and areas she needed to focus on to improve her score. The fact that she had taken the SSAT in June was not reflected on the SSAT score report for October. In fact, SSAT issued a new login/id etc for October and the June login/id did not work in the fall. If the cost is not prohibative I suggest you take the spring test. Sometimes folks are surprised that their A student makes a low score on the SSAT. You will have time for tutoring, reviewing test taking skills or adjusting expectations.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    I've thought about having my daughter sit the June test for the reasons emdee cited; but it would be SUCH a drag if she took it in June, did really well, then had to take it again in Oct.

I really don't think the school penalize you for having the "multiple" mark. So, I think she'll do Oct and Dec (if necessary).

And at risk of hijacking this thread: does anyone know how to handle the repeating dilemma? Daughter is a skipper and though she will be in 9th grade next fall, she will be applying to repeat. Even as a repeater, she'd still be on the young side. (Currently in 8th grade and won't be 13 until August). Will she be scored as a 9th grader or as an 8th grader?
  • CKSABSCKSABS Registered User Posts: 300 Member
    Neato - There are two ways to approach this for repeaters. One way is to have her scored as an eigth grader (you do this when you sign up). The other way is to use her current grade and send an adjusted score on paper as an eigth grader to admissisions. The latter is the approach my son's guidance counselor recommended. The counselor also was the one who sent in the score and discussed his overall "portfolio" when he met with admissions last February.

Having said all that, when you login into the parent section of the Deerfield site, you see the scores sent electronically to Deerfield, not the paper scores. However, don't discount the adjustment in the admissisions process, especially if her scores are more in the middle, because they can improve several percentage points. At the upper and lower ends of the curve, the impact of adjusting will only be a couple of percent at the most.

The bottomline: If she has high scores, it won't matter which grade she chooses or if you send in the adjustment. If the scores are less than the 80th percentile, it may be worth doing the adjustment.
    Thanks to you all for the advices! It's very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.