Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

What are your impressions of non Hades schools

Replies to: What are your impressions of non Hades schools

• Alexz825MomAlexz825Mom Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    The 10 schools came into my area, midwest and gave wonderful information, but as tie went on, as my research progressed, i learned the term, "best fit". I then began the search to "again".

Berkshire was nice and beautiful, but our guide was not happy to be there and had never heard of the harkness table-that bothered both me and my d. The academics were not what she needed.

I loved Cushing, d was just luke warm, thus she didnt do the eassy, even though she took the interview and tour and I thought she was sure to get in. In the end, she said she rather stay home ( if she doesn't get into bs she will begin college in the fall--local hs is over for us--lol)

Loomis-beautifullllllllll. The best tour guide of the 7 schools we visited in 4 days. Great writing program.
  • Linda SLinda S Registered User Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    Great topic. We have visited a lot - as one poster said - in many categories - the "top," just below and then below that.
    I would agree that the "top" generally have the best facilities but that is changing. The "just below" are gaining and fast.

I caution everyone to not be caught up in the name of the school. Go for the fit. What feels right. We were told by one admissions rep this (and we found it to be very true): there will be 3 kinds of schools: #1 - you feel so comfortable there you can't wait to start. #2 - you can see yourself there and are sure you would fit in and #3 - You can't wait to get off campus, and wonder if you should even do the interview.

For us, at least one in each "tier" fit into each of those categories.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    My son had two experiences like the last one you described, Linda. I'm pretty sure he was just going through the motions during the interview at those schools because I saw a HUGE difference in the feedback I got from the interviewers. It was just really obvious that those two school weren't "right" for him. Because he wasn't excited about the school, he wasn't excited during the interview. One school, in particular, was so obviously wrong that when I shook hands with the interviewer, it was as if he already knew that my son wouldn't be applying; and I could tell too, even before speaking with my son! Interestingly enough, it is the only school that didn't send something in the mail every two weeks. I respect that completely. Why would they encourage an applicant who is not a fit? It's kind of a relief.

There is one "HADES" school that my son won't even step foot on the campus of....it just creeps him out that much. Why bother with a tour and interview when there are so many great schools out there?
  • Mainer95Mainer95 Registered User Posts: 361 Member
    This "creeps" stuff really does say a lot about how the "fit" is both so important and so specific to the individual. There have been several people here on CC who have named a couple of HADES schools that they found "creepy" when they visited. Yet those same two schools were and are our son's favorite ones! Go figure.
    It IS weird. The school that creeped my son out is an excellent school by any standard, but he just didn't even want to entertain the thought of living there for four years, and this was just from driving through campus. Maybe it was because it was the site of a massacre? If that gives anyone a hint. Some kids are deeply effected by history and I suspect that had something to do with it. So, when I think of it in terms of the history of the place, I guess I think it's kinda creepy too! :)
  • FayMomFayMom Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    LOLZbabe, Milton is our (parent's) first choice because we want my son to be a day student. His own first choice is Exeter for which he is willing to board and second choice is Milton.

I have talked to many local people, who have gone or know someone who have gone to Milton, and it seems to have very good local reputation, better than Andover even among some.

Another school I really like is Brooks, but my son doesn't.
  • leanidleanid Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    Good God, Neato, I think I know which school it is, but that massacre happened over three hundred years ago!! If we are to feel "creepy" about every historic place where blood was shed, then how is it that we venerate those same places? I suggest reading a little history of the event, so as to put in in perspective. To shun such a highly regarded school because of that is plain ignorant and really laughable. I could understand if it happened one, five, ten or twenty years ago -- but 300?!
    Leanid, I sent you a PM. It's nothing against the school per se.
  • ParlabaneParlabane Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    So? What massacre and what school? My history is rusty.
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    I could pick this and I'm not American.. Clearly the indoctrination in US History is paying off. Although being the obsessive kid I am, I looked up the historys of all the towns where the schools are. Just think Paralabane: French and Indian War. The massacre wasn't much of one by history standards but it beats the Boston Massacre I guess. I'd tell you straight out but I don't know if neato would want me to announce it.
    It's not that big a deal guys. And it is getting sort of off topic.

The point is, sometimes the feeling a kid gets from a place can have nothing to do with the school and everything to do with the kid. It's about fit. Even a highly regarded school like Deerfield can be a turnoff for whatever reason. Maybe some kid can't see himself playing soccer on the same fields that little children were marched through in the dead of winter on their way to Montreal. Leanid finds that
    plain ignorant and really laughable
    OK. That's fine.

I might think it's plain ignorant and really laughable that kids find SPS or Groton "creepy." I don't think it's ignorant or laughable, of course. Kids have reactions for any number of legitimate reasons, whether we understand them or not. They're the ones who have got to live there.

The point is that there are simply so many really fine schools out there that one can afford to be not want to live at one for whatever reason. It's not like Deerfield (or school XYZ) is the ONLY place to get a good education. Some schools "feel right" and some don't.

Once you cut past the prestige, it becomes pretty simple.
  • FayMomFayMom Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Is the campus exactly on the village site where it happened? Wonder if there is a memorial sign of some sort there.

If it is at the same site, yeah, I would feel weird too. If it is miles away, I would not worry about it.
  • BenleyBenley Registered User Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    Milton, and it seems to have very good local reputation, better than Andover even among some.
    Faymom, what are Milton's strengths compared with Andover?
  • Linda SLinda S Registered User Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    Yes, it is on the exact spot. It's in the village of Historic Deerfield. School children from all over New England come and tour the houses that are right next to the campus. In fact, when you drive through, you can't really tell what is campus and what is not and many of the historic homes are owned by the school and are staff homes.
  • leanidleanid Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    Back in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, the original "stockade" area of Deerfield, was where most, if not all, the houses were located, surrounded by sturdy stockade fencing (wooden logs). That fairly small area is pretty much in the middle of today's campus. The "Street" runs right through it in a south/north direction.

The unfortunate residents (those who survived the attack) were forced to walk to Canada by the marauding Native Americans (the Pocumtucks, I believe), assisted by the French. Logic dictates that the walk would have been northerly. Deerfield's playing fields are on the western part of campus. It is unlikely, therefore, that any of the survivors marched through that area.

The Indian House Museum, part of Historic Deerfield, has a door which bears the hatchet marks the Pocumtucks made in an attempt to enter one of the houses.

Neato - By all means, your son should go where he feels most comfortable. Adolescence is a most difficult time in life, and unneeded stress should be avoided -- there is more than enough of it at that age.
This discussion has been closed.