Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are your impressions of non Hades schools

12346»

Replies to: What are your impressions of non Hades schools

• SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    @alwaysaparent: I think the person who posts under the "zuzu'spetals" name may be a parent of a Mercersburg student.

Here's an old Mercersburg thread I found looking for the spelling of his/her screen name:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/513171-mercersburg-academy.html
  • zuzu'spetalszuzu'spetals Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    Alwaysaparent, SevenDad is right, my daughter is at M'burg. It amazes me how much time has passed. She is a jr and I can vividly recall having a virtual cc handholding circle on March 9th at midnight when she was still an 8th grader waiting to get it.

As you will hear over and over again at CC, it is all about fit. M'burg is the perfect for my daughter. She is an outgoing kid and very involved in the school community. But it is the kind of school that encourages it. I remember at our revisit day meeting a jr. girl who was playing soccer. It was the third sport she had tried in three fall seasons. The admissions person who introduced her to us was immensely proud of that fact, that she might play try a different sport each fall. She was playing either jv or thirds, but who cares? She was having a blast.

My daughter was a straight a student when she applied, and had lots of leadership roles (student council pres, drama, sports). Her ssats were in the 75th percentile overall. That was probably near average for the US students, low for the internationals. It is a very diverse school with 38 nations (I think) represented. They also encourage foreign travel during breaks. She went to Costa Rica as a freshman (free) on a bio trip. Next month she is going to India for 15 days with the school. That one is not free, but FA is paying the lion's share of it.
    The dorms are decent, the food okay, and the classes relatively small. They use the harkness method in every class.
    Classes are challenging for my daughter. She is thinking about a particular service academy and is bulking up on AP science courses. Math and science are not her strong suits, but she is working very hard and doing very well.
    Overall, she loves it there. She wants to one day send her own kids there. Go, visit, take a tour. Look for a bubbly jr girl tour guide who is also a writing center fellow. But please don't tell her that I gush about her on CC. She would kill me. :)

PS: At Mercersburg there is a good chance that if you are on your tour, friends of your guide will repeatedly wish him or her a happy birthday. Admissions doesn't just assign tours to kids with birthdays that day.. Instead, it is a long standing student tradition and it is all done in good fun, but can get awkward with group tours when two or more guides are both celebrating bdays. My daughter lets the parents in on the joke. So don't be surprised if it happens to you.

zp
  • zuzu'spetalszuzu'spetals Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    Should have made it clear that lab sciences are done in typical labs and not in Harkness style.

Where is that edit button the next day? Or week, for that matter? :)

zp
12346»
This discussion has been closed.