Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

primacy/recency effect

scholwannabescholwannabe Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Prep School Parents
I'm a first-timer parent applying to BS with my child. For those who have children who are already accepted, is there a strategy that should be followed when it comes to the interview schedule? Is it better to interview early in the season, late in the season or somewhere in the middle? We interviewed in the summer, but I fear summer is too early; however studies show that the brain exhibits a primacy/recency effect in that people remember the first and last things the brain sees.

Also, question #2: we got very little followup from our application. Coaches from some schools emailed and asked a few questions. We sent in the sports information they requested, but never heard back...what does it mean if we haven't gotten a lot of communication/followup from our initial app? Anything? Does my child still have a chance of getting in on 3/10?
Post edited by scholwannabe on

Replies to: primacy/recency effect

• cdnhockeymomcdnhockeymom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    We had lots of contact from the schools (coaches) that were interested in my son. Not sure if this is the same for everyone. If you son has had any new accomplishments recently in the sport they are interested in, I would pass it along. Make sure the school you are most interested in knows that they are your favorite. It does matter to them.
    As for interviews, I am not sure the timing is so important. They take very detailed notes. If you are memorable, timing is inconsequential.
  • opsops Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    IMO: The only drawback interviewing during the summer is not being able to experience the school in action with the students. I guess interviewing in the beginning and the end might have it's advantages. Our boy's interviews were planned ahead and scheduled on PS holidays and Saturdays. I've seen it where it was like a revolving door with standing room only on a Saturday.

I don't recall either boys getting any feed back on their submitted applications and it did not mean anything. Yes, your child does have a chance and best of luck.
  • PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,504 Senior Member
    The interviewers rate the interviewees immediately after the interview, I believe. The interview is only a small part of the overall application, and the interviewer is only one member of a committee. I wouldn't worry about later interviewees having a leg up on earlier interviewees.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    I agree with Periwinkle.

It IS the first impression that the school has of you, however. I would think the rating is something like: interested or disinterested, can speak or cannot speak, psycho or non-psycho ;)

Kidding but not really. They just get to know you a little bit "in the flesh" as opposed to only on paper. Just like the kids who have "loved" a school from the viewbooks and then came away from the tour with a cold feeling (and vice versa), I imagine the situation is similar for the AO. Does the impression they get from the interview jibe with the rest of the application?

Of course, I don't really know anything. It's just my best guess about the role of the interview in the whole process.
  • Linda SLinda S Registered User Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    I think a few of us have said this in the past (very old posts though). Any one piece of your application can push you one way or the other. This was confirmed to me at a recent college workshop (process similar to this one) by a college admissions professional.
    A good interview can be very powerful. My son is an incredible interviewer. It was probably the highest rated part of his application. It's the only part that is really ONLY you. But...they also know that not every 13 -15 year old interviews well so a nervous one does not rule you out.

We got some communication from schools, and not others. Doesn't mean anything. We have heard stories of students getting lots of communication and then not getting in.

Another note about interviews - the college person told us and I'm sure this applies to prep schools too - Alumni interviews are fine, but don't request one if there is any way you can get on campus. For example, if you live an hour from the school, don't ask for an alumni interview. They may let you have one, but will not look favorably upon it.
  • schoolgirlieusaschoolgirlieusa Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    @ periwinkle, my interviewer actually told me my rating.
  • Alexz825MomAlexz825Mom Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    schoolgirlieusa..

i am not so interested in your personal score, but was there a range, percentage???
  • schoolgirlieusaschoolgirlieusa Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    no, it wasnt a percentage, it was a number. im not sure what the range is though.
This discussion has been closed.