Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

can't get teacher reached in summer time

sisleysisley Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited August 2010 in Prep School Parents
My D is applying a rolling base private school to enter this fall. The application need 3 rec letters from Math, English, Guidance counselor or principal from his current school. Since all the teachers are off for summer I sent out emails to them about 6 weeks ago. Only math teacher replied and mailed rec letter, others never response though I sent follow-ups twice. The school we are applying can only make decision towards a completed application. How can I reach the teachers in summer time? Should I forward the emails to the private school to let them know the situation? thank you very much for your input.
Post edited by sisley on

Replies to: can't get teacher reached in summer time

• classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    Some teachers (like me!) only check their work email sporadically in the summer. Try calling the guidance counselor or principal and explaining the situation; while they may not be able to release the teachers' home info. , they could probably alert them to check their email.
  • sisleysisley Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    thank you classicalmom. Since I didn't hear from the guidance counselor for 6 weeks, I called school and someone in main office told me everyone is out and she suggested me to email principal and vice principal for help. So I did about one week ago, but no one reply me. I explained this situation to applied school, they said they will wait more time see if the letter will come. I think I'll send out reminder anyway.
  • classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    That's a tough one. If the principal is in the building in the summer (most are), can you stop by? Maybe an in-person visit is needed to get the wheels rolling. How frustrating for you--I hope it all works out!
  • ExieMITAlumExieMITAlum . Posts: 2,367 Senior Member
    I agree. But some teachers are starting to report back to school (at least here) so it may be useful to keep trying now that classes are starting up again.

Also - note we encountered two things - one teachers who resented we were trying to leave (until we explained it wasn't a reflection on them) and teachers who delayed the rec's because they thought sending our child away was a punishment (she explained it wasn't).

Teachers are often taking time off "mentally" to deal with home issues and some semblance of life. I'm sure the BS will understand. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.