Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Has anyone canceled their BS contract after the June 15th date?

2»

Replies to: Has anyone canceled their BS contract after the June 15th date?

• PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,505 Senior Member
    It may not matter if there were applicants on the wait list. Here's an article from 2008, covering a similar situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/nyregion/23bigcity.html. Those parents knew in June that their daughter would not attend. A popular private school in New York City would be able to fill the spot from the waitlist.

A good lawyer would try to keep his clients out of court. No plaintiff "wins" in a suit of that nature. Some lawyers seem to tell parents that schools don't want negative publicity, but a school is better able to weather negative publicity than a teenager. In my opinion, neither Tatum Bass nor Blair Hornstine were done any favors when their parents chose to sue. The daughter's name, and any unflattering testimony, would be a matter of public record. College admissions officers do use Google these days--and they're more likely to check up on applicants after Harvard's recent embarrassment.
  • pulsarpulsar - Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    I think you are thinking that the OP is trying to reneg on a contract. Far from it. People can have extenuating circumstances like job transfer, illness etc. Any one can get cold feet any time and you need to take into account the circumstance. These things happen on altars too as you know.
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    The OP IS trying to reneg on a contract.
  • Princess'DadPrincess'Dad Registered User Posts: 1,123 Senior Member
    It is my understanding from reading here in past years that most schools do not enforce the contract. Bad PR and Expensive. That may have changed in more recent years. Just what has been reported here. As noted, one can always find changes in the school from certain teachers leaving to classes no longer being offered.

As per the President's note on NY, without commenting on the right or wrong of the above from an ethics issue.
  • urbanflopurbanflop Registered User Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    The correct word is renege. Sorry, not trying to be the grammer police; I learned that word just a little while ago...
    It's grammar, not grammer.
  • ExieMITAlumExieMITAlum . Posts: 2,367 Senior Member
    :-)

I read that article. Not sure why - if they loved the private school and had to pay out the contract, they just didn't go through with the first year. Or ask the school to convert it to a donation so it could be a tax write off.

In the OP's case - they are existing parents so there should have been no surprises. It's cancelling a contract. If the reverse were true and the school revoked an admissions offer for an arbitrary reason, wouldn't they be suing to maintain "that" contract?

I think this is just a case where there should have been better communication between the parent and child. A friend of mine informed me that when her daughter graduates from an IVY, she cried and finally revealed that she hated the entire four years but kept her mouth shut because she wanted to please her parents. The mom cried and confessed she hated the school too but kept her mouth shut because she thought her daughter loved it. (true story).

But that's not the school's fault. It's an expensive lesson to learn.
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    urbanflop,
    I do stand corrected. It is renege. It's one of the unfortunate words which looks as awkward when spelled correctly as when misspelled, I must say. I could point out that pulsar also probably meant "at altars" or "before altars", presuming that the reference is to marriage. On altars, to me, at least, suggests a sacrifice.
  • urbanflopurbanflop Registered User Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    @Pulsar: I can't believed I misspelled a word when I was correcting you. I stand corrected..it's grammar.
    They don't teach spelling at Exeter do they? *checks to see if anything is misspelled*
    "I can't believe I misspelled", not "I can't believed I misspelled". Grammar this time, not spelling. :D
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Registered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    If you have to pay anyway, then maybe she should go back for a second year and see if the experience is better. She'll still have a public school spot if she wants it later in the year.
    The phrasing of the question made this seem like a sudden decision by the daughter. Are there other issues that have popped up this summer, like a hometown boyfriend?
2»
This discussion has been closed.