Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Interesting that schools don't let your child "shadow" until Spring revisits

124»

Replies to: Interesting that schools don't let your child "shadow" until Spring revisits

• goodchoicesgoodchoices Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I really don't buy the argument that it is impractical for prospective students to shadow when visiting BS campuses. My elder daughter attends a local independent high school, which is relatively small - 600 students; around 130-140 in the freshman class. The school receives over 600 applications for those 130 -140 spots. A smaller ratio than the 2000 for 200 spots quoted for Andover above, but still a large number of applicants for a small school. Class sizes are small - the largest being around 15, but my daughter's freshman biology class had only 7 students. EVERY applicant is encouraged to spend a day on campus shadowing with a current student. Shadow visits are conducted 4 days a week, October through mid-January (obviously excluding non-class days). On average, 10-15 students shadow nearly every school day in the fall. If a school of 600 can accommodate 600 shadow visits, surely the HADES schools can as well. Particularly since many families are traveling long distances and arguably, the decision to attend BS is more complicated than attending the local day school.

Just my thoughts - it works in many places around the country and the shadow program would probably change many students' opinions about where they would or would not apply.
  • Alexz825MomAlexz825Mom Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    As a parent of a current bs student, I beg to differ about shadowing.

When we were looking at schools, I thought shadowing would be a great idea, but that is a whole day adventure, which every family doesnt have. Looking back I am not sure I would have gained any additional knowledge about the school. One day, 5 or 6 classes would not have given me much. Teachers are different, subject and delivery vary.

I discussed this issue with my d over break and she says it changes the flow of the class, example, parent weekend. When people come in and out it breaks the flow and takes away from the lesson. In classes like English or Geometry or Physics, the students are engaged and focused. As a parent, to think this is what would happen on a daily basis would irritate me. The kids should not have to be on display every minute.

As we toured and interviewed, we found schools that didnt meet our needs, thus spending the day shadowing and disrupting the flow would not have been a good use of our time. As a teacher, the constant interruption in and out of my classroom would be a pain.

I believe that shadowing is best left to revisit days. Student-to-student interactions, in class, meals, and activities. Parents are with other parents involved in making final decisions. At this point your child has been accepted, thus you know they want you.

I am not saying it cant be done, but I cant say it would be of any help.

Just my 2 cents.
  • pulsarpulsar - Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    ^ doesn't make any sense. Are you saying more is less? How is someone distracted? People are not coming in and out constantly. They go in and out at the same with the rest of the class. It just looks like you want to make a counterargument!
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,550 Senior Member
    I agree with Alexz825Mom.

As the parent of a current student--
    I would not want my child to have to do multiple shadow days throughout the fall. My child is at school to learn, not be an admissions rep. Having students shadow DOES change the environment in a small classroom. I know my child would feel responsible for showing a prospective student a good time and would not take advantage of tutoring or study time on a shadow day.

As a parent of a prospective student--
    We looked at local boarding schools, which meant we were able to do interviews on half days or miss just a couple of hours of school. If attending a shadow day were part of the admissions process we'd feel compelled to do that too. To make our child miss 6-8 full days of school to attend classes at a school they might not even have an opportunity to to attend would not be productive, nor would it be good for their fall term grades.

One of the schools we looked at had been highly recommended. We expected to love it but by the end of the tour it was clear it was not a good match for our family. To spend an entire day shadowing a student would have been a waste of everyone's time and to back out at the last minute would have been rude. The alternative is to schedule shadow days separate from interviews, adding an additional visit to the process.

I don't see any compelling reason to offer a shadow day before decisions come out. My child already knows which schools will drop off the list if s/he is admitted to others higher on the list. Hopefully s/he will have choices come March 10th but that is not guaranteed.
  • PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,505 Senior Member
    I agree with Sue22 and Alexz825Mom. If applicants were allowed to shadow another student, I'd worry that not shadowing would send a message that we weren't interested in a school. As I called to arrange interviews before Labor Day, we were able to get them done with a minimum of disruption to my son's school schedule. It would have been very tough to require him to miss more than a week of school. It would also give an unfair advantage to students who managed to book appointments to shadow on weekends.
  • pulsarpulsar - Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    I think OP wants it as an option for someone who wants it, none of it is mandatory for all. A bunch of private day schools already do this and this is not a foreign concept.
124»
This discussion has been closed.