Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Since Princeton does "holistic review" do I have a chance with my 2.88 GPA?

sw0893sw0893 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited October 2010 in Princeton University
GPA is 2.88 unweighted, 3.40 weighted. SAT score is around 1850.

I did poorly my first three years of high school, primary caretaker of my sick mother, etc., but now in my senior year I have all A's and 2 B's. I scored high on my AP exams and earned the AP Scholar Award and I'm a member of the National Society of High School Scholars (similar to National Honor Society) I have strong extracurriculars and strong essays and strong teacher recommendations.

According to collegeboard and princeton, they value your essay, teacher recs, and personal qualities more than your GPA/SAT score.

Very important admission factors:

* Character/Personal Qualities
* Class Rank
* Application Essay
* Recommendations
* Rigor of secondary school record
* Standardized Test Scores
* Talent/Ability
* Academic GPA

Important admission factors:

* Extracurricular Activities

Also, they have accepted students like me, but it's a very low number - 2%

5 minutes ago
Here are my AP's and IB's:

IB English
IB Chinese
AP European History
AP Modern World History
AP Psychology
AP Macroeconomics
AP Comparative Government
AP Environmental Science

So since I've taken so many difficult classes, maybe they'll be more understanding of my low GPA?
Post edited by sw0893 on

Replies to: Since Princeton does "holistic review" do I have a chance with my 2.88 GPA?

• newest newbnewest newb - Posts: 751 Member
    No. Don't get your hopes up.

But remember, you can have a wildly successful life without attending Princeton (or any school like Princeton). Clearly you have what it takes to pick yourself up after hardship, work hard, and achieve, so I think you'll be fine in life. But it certainly won't be at Princeton (for undergrad, anyway).
  • AnigerAniger Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    No, not for undergrad. Go somewhere else and succeed there. Don't waste your energy or hopes on ivies.
  • jgraiderjgraider Registered User Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    Also, they have accepted students like me, but it's a very low number - 2%

How did you get that number?
    So since I've taken so many difficult classes, maybe they'll be more understanding of my low GPA?

They'll take it into account but you have to keep in mind that there are many students applying to Princeton who take even more rigorous classes and get better grades anyway.

Based, on your stats, even if you are a URM, your chances would be very very slim
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Your chance of acceptance is so low as to be negligible.
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    According to collegeboard and princeton, they value your essay, teacher recs, and personal qualities more than your GPA/SAT score.
    No they don't.

I suggest focusing your efforts on applications elsewhere. Obviously everyone has some infinitesimally small chance, but it doesn't mean that everyone should waste time applying.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,505 Senior Member
    The only students conceivably admitted with such a low GPA would be a national-level recruited football player, basketball player, or a development case legacy whose family donated a building.

Listen to Janet Rapelye's latest video on Princeton admissions--she states the high school transcript is the single most important factor in admissions.
  • NewAccountNewAccount Registered User Posts: 1,882 Senior Member
    You have a 0% chance of getting in.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    Your chance of acceptance is so low as to be negligible.

This. OP, the GPA is an incredibly important part of your application. While they will be sympathetic to your extenuating circumstances, your grades just aren't high enough. A 3.7 might be conceivable with your circumstances, but a 2.88 isn't.
  • griffengriffen Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    I hate to be negative, but I wholly agree with Glassesarechic. Inconceivable.

Not only is your GPA just flat out low, but your SAT is relatively low as well for very selective schools generally, nevermind for Princeton. Moreover, you say you have 2 Bs now with no extenuating circumstances. But, the semester is only half over so you are counting those As and Bs as chickens before they are hatched. You need to quickly develop a good list of realistic schools to apply to and drop Princeton off.
  • mickjaggermickjagger Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    LOL silverturtle.
This discussion has been closed.