Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

waitlisted

2»

Replies to: waitlisted

• mickjaggermickjagger Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    I think you should stay on it! You could be first in line. Who knows.
  • RockySterlingRockySterling Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Is there a DOWNSIDE to accepting Princeton and Yale's waitlist offers once I accept into Columbia? Aside from losing the deposit if either one accepts me and I decide to attend there? Just the uncertainty?
  • STMooreSTMoore Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Silverturtle, you strike me as a very rational person, and it would seem to be completely out of character for you to allow a short term and ultimately meaningless consideration like "discomfort" to trump the possibilty of expanding your college options in a meaningful way. I imagine some of your admissions results must be discouraging for you -- particularly after the incredible passion you have invested in the college admissions process -- but FWIW I think you should "suck it up" and see what happens. Last year, I stayed on Harvard's waitlist all the way to the bitter end (I survived 2 rounds of cuts and then got axed in the final rejection wave in late June), and, even though I ultimately failed, I would never have forgiven myself if I didn't put everything I had into seeing if I could get over the hump. Of course I was depressed for a few days, but it didn't take me long to totally reconcile myself emotionally to my second choice (Penn, which I picked over Princeton and several other schools). My first year has been great -- no regrets-- and I can go through life knowing I maximized my opportunities. Anyway, best of luck, and thanks for all of your great insights here on cc.
  • mrscollegemrscollege Registered User Posts: 659 Member
    Rocky, no there is no other downside other than losing a deposit. If you hate uncertainty, send in your WL letters and forget about it.

But don't go on any waitlist unless you intend to accept a spot if offered one.
  • rubin95rubin95 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    my son was waitlisted last year. he was finally offered a spot in june. he was torn between princeton and dartmouth but ultimately picked princeton. he hasn't regretted that choice for a second. stay on the waitlist, dreams do come true!
  • randombetchrandombetch Registered User Posts: 1,079 Senior Member
    Last year we took a lot, but it looks like since we accepted more people in the initial round we are probably only going to take 50-100 people off the waitlist.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    I committed to the waitlist.
  • mickjaggermickjagger Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    I hope Princeton finds out who you are and moves you up on the list! Your intellect and academic drive are DEFINITELY competent for HYPS. Your SAT guide has helped countless people, and you're very unique. Ordinary people don't go around making SAT guides...
  • TigermomTigermom Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    The waitlist is so lengthy because it has many dimensions. Openings are not just slots, they are slots with attributes. If many engineering acceptees decide NOT to attend, then there will be openings for waitlistees who are interested in engineering. You are only competing head to head with another person with similar attributes. If you are an oboe-playing, debater from Idaho who wants to major in aerospace engineering, all you can do is hope there is an opening for one. Which one? Don't know. Nobody knows. Princeton values a diverse student body as they should.
2»
This discussion has been closed.