right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Why will you be rejected/deferred/accepted?

2»

Replies to: Why will you be rejected/deferred/accepted?

• cavalier302cavalier302 4293 replies50 threads Senior Member
    accept: not much, I have average SATs for Princeton, decent rank, geographical diversity (rural va??), good recs

defer: nothing special about me, decent essays, meh...

reject: probably not ED, but if I get deferred, this wouldn't be unexpected in the RD
    round...If they don't want me I'd assume they'd go defer--->reject
    · Reply · Share
  • kayoshinkayoshin 183 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Accepted:
    --I have decent/good sat 1 and 2 scores, and each one that i retook shows significant improvement.
    --Great recs, including from a hospice (i feel bad that i havent seen em due to this college stuff).
    --Piano for 7 years (cost of classes forced me to quit 2 years ago, but i still practice, and have sent in a cd)
    --Karate since age of 5 (did a good essay on it, and its a major part of me)
    --Science Research course (gives a chance to do independant work in science), with a few awards on the state level (expect a few more this Spring)
    --most rigorous courses in school

Rejected/Deffered: (basically my bad points)
    --living in NJ
    --Only ap test I've taken is a 4 in Comp Sci (My school only allows 3 aps in the junior year, and impossible to take more than one, since they overlapped)
    --Rank 18
    --Sat not GREAT (760M, 720V)
    --No National awards
    --No leadership positions or great EC's within school
    --Having too many recs (i have 5 optional; it kinda got out of hand with all the ppl that wanted to write... my english teacher even wrote me a rec without telling me ">.>)

*sigh* i should have done it in "defer/reject, and then accept" order, cuz i dont like to finish up on the bad points.

EDIT: oh yea, under defer/reject:
    --GPA of only 3.512
    · Reply · Share
  • gracilisaegracilisae 1392 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Bokonon - my employment was two summers at a children's 2-week track camp, so I'm not far behind you
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity