Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why will you be rejected/deferred/accepted?

2»

Replies to: Why will you be rejected/deferred/accepted?

• PavalonPavalon Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    Accepted: strong on math: 2 silver medals at intl olympiad, first prize at intl math University student competition, where i competed with 2 princeton alumnae, did better than one and almost as well the another (who ranked top 5 at putnam as a freshman:))... other math/cs prizes, v good sat scores (4intl), v good recs

deferred: one essay is totally cliche, found out (after i submited) that the subject is no no... in fact it's a no no no no NO!... but it's sincere :D
    no leadership, not too many ECs

rejected: god, i hope not...
  • BokononBokonon Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    Accepted:
    -IB diploma candidate (most rigorous courseload) with excellent predicted score
    -High and balanced SAT I (780 M, 770 V)
    -Excellent grades
    -ECs: co-founder/President of political and religious discussion club, very active in a non-profit...co-counsel homeless
    -Quirky miscellaneous EC: Intense Kung Fu and Tai Chi training
    -Excellent recommendation from the above organization
    -Excellent teacher recommendations (one went to Princeton)
    -Double Legacy
    -My essays were quite compelling
    -Great interview
    -I overcame immense obstacles to be where I am today...addressed in my essays.

Deferred: I'm only a National Merit Commended Scholar, I have few academic awards, I've never been employed, and I'm not a recruited athlete.

Rejected: Unlikely ED...
  • KebreeKebree Registered User Posts: 2,564 Senior Member
    What I would give to be a double legacy.....
  • BokononBokonon Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    No Kebree...it's not as nice as you'd think. While I do get an added shove, it's really not that much. 40% of legacies are accepted...and that's almost exclusively ED. In addition, it's a lot of pressure because people assume that you'll get in because of your birth-right, but I'd rather have people recognize my achievements. The one blessing/curse is that I doubt I'll get rejected ED...out of courtesy.
  • philntexphilntex Registered User Posts: 3,186 Senior Member
    Hehe, know how that feels. Except mine is URM status. I'd like not to deal with that nonsense if I got in, but eh...we'll see...
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Registered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    accept: not much, I have average SATs for Princeton, decent rank, geographical diversity (rural va??), good recs

defer: nothing special about me, decent essays, meh...

reject: probably not ED, but if I get deferred, this wouldn't be unexpected in the RD
    round...If they don't want me I'd assume they'd go defer--->reject
  • kayoshinkayoshin Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    Accepted:
    --I have decent/good sat 1 and 2 scores, and each one that i retook shows significant improvement.
    --Great recs, including from a hospice (i feel bad that i havent seen em due to this college stuff).
    --Piano for 7 years (cost of classes forced me to quit 2 years ago, but i still practice, and have sent in a cd)
    --Karate since age of 5 (did a good essay on it, and its a major part of me)
    --Science Research course (gives a chance to do independant work in science), with a few awards on the state level (expect a few more this Spring)
    --most rigorous courses in school

Rejected/Deffered: (basically my bad points)
    --living in NJ
    --Only ap test I've taken is a 4 in Comp Sci (My school only allows 3 aps in the junior year, and impossible to take more than one, since they overlapped)
    --Rank 18
    --Sat not GREAT (760M, 720V)
    --No National awards
    --No leadership positions or great EC's within school
    --Having too many recs (i have 5 optional; it kinda got out of hand with all the ppl that wanted to write... my english teacher even wrote me a rec without telling me ">.>)

*sigh* i should have done it in "defer/reject, and then accept" order, cuz i dont like to finish up on the bad points.

EDIT: oh yea, under defer/reject:
    --GPA of only 3.512
  • gracilisaegracilisae Registered User Posts: 1,409 Senior Member
    Bokonon - my employment was two summers at a children's 2-week track camp, so I'm not far behind you
This discussion has been closed.