Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Princeton Arts Supplement

gutsandglorygutsandglory Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in Princeton University
I have already submitted my SCEA application to Princeton. I want to submit an arts supplement, but have a problem. I want to submit creative writing pieces, but I have a large portfolio that includes fiction, nonfiction, and prose, to submit. When trying to submit the online supplement, after I select "creative writing," the dropdown menu wants me to choose between "fiction," "nonfiction," "poetry," and "translations." I have pieces for all of the first three categories! Does this mean that I can only submit pieces from one of the categories? Or do I have to submit three separate arts supplement?
Post edited by gutsandglory on

Replies to: Princeton Arts Supplement

• 1sparkle21sparkle2 Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    When I submitted my dance supplement I was including both ballet and modern dance, so I selected "other" and typed in "modern and ballet." I don't know why everything is separate like that.
  • 1sparkle21sparkle2 Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    But you know what, maybe they did want you to submit a separate supplement for each genre. Now that I think about it I'm not really sure. I hope what I did was okay though because both dances were on one file and I'm not sure how I would have split it up anyway...
  • gutsandglorygutsandglory Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I'm sure if there was an "other" option what you did was probably fine. But there was no "other" option for creative writing.

Also, would including persuasive essays be appropriate, under "nonfiction" maybe?

Has anyone else had my creative writing dilemma?
  • shinexaliveshinexalive Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    Hey gutsandglory, I'm in the same boat (I've got short stories and poems). I'd suggest leaving off the persuasive essays, since I'm not sure they fall under "Creative Writing"; however, I think I will go ahead and submit separate ones for each of my creative writing samples to avoid confusion on the admission officer's part.
  • gutsandglorygutsandglory Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Thanks shinexalive. I ended up submitting 3 different supplements, one for fiction, one for nonfiction, and one for poetry. Each is only a page or two long, adding up to five pages, which they said was the maximum for the creative writing supplement. I hope tthat's what they were looking for!
This discussion has been closed.