right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

To what extent will some Bs and a C in my high school transcript affect my chances?

ballista1ballista1 18 replies5 threads Junior Member
edited July 10 in Princeton University
Hey all,

I know it's still months to college application season, but I am looking to apply for Princeton's SCEA this fall, and I was wondering how much emphasis Princeton places on grades in the middle of high school. Assuming SAT scores in the mid to high 700s (from practice tests), as well as strong extracurriculars in a few different areas, will Princeton admission officers immediately throw my application into the reject pile if they see a couple of Bs and a C (in math, not something I plan to study) without looking at the rest of the application?

Will it be helpful to account for the dip in my grades through the Common App additional sectionm? I was focusing a lot on my music ECs then, joining competition after competition and practicing for 4 hours a day on average (as much as 6-7 hours on days where I had more time). Or will admission officers see this as a lame excuse?

Thanks in advance!
edited July 10
4 replies
Post edited by ccadminkris on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: To what extent will some Bs and a C in my high school transcript affect my chances?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3515 replies81 threads Senior Member
    You don't want to make excuses. A few Bs won't hurt, but the C won't look good. Rather than you trying to explain it, which would come off as "making excuses", you should have your guidance counselor mention that you struggled in a time you were earning high awards for your music, but you got yourself back on track.

You should definitely apply to match and safety options, as Princeton is neither, for anyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • ballista1ballista1 18 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Thanks Groundwork2022 for the advice! This clears things up a bit for me

I will definitely apply for match and safety schools :)
    · Reply · Share
  • TigerInWinterTigerInWinter 120 replies0 threads Junior Member
    This is a minor point, but Princeton just announced that it won't be doing SCEA this year. So you've got a couple of extra months to work on your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • ballista1ballista1 18 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Ah thanks TigerinWinter for the information! I do wonder how much this will affect admissions at Princeton and other Ivy League unis. Will Princeton's admission rate rise and the others fall because of this decision I wonder?
    · Reply · Share