Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much do legacies count for?

Hcos12893Hcos12893 Registered User Posts: 810 Member
edited January 2010 in Princeton University
if i have four generations of my family that went to Princeton would that factor in at all into how they look at a candidate. for example my mother, her father, his father, and his father all went to Princeton. if i have slightly sub-par grades Bs/B+s at an extremely competitive private school, will this give me an edge in admissions
Post edited by Hcos12893 on

Replies to: How much do legacies count for?

• randombetchrandombetch Registered User Posts: 1,079 Senior Member
    Same as a double legacy. It helps a lot. Even better than URM advantage.

If you have great grades, great test scores, great extracurriculars, good LORs, and good essays, you're in.
  • german_cargerman_car - Posts: 89 Junior Member
    You have a great chance. Princeton is full of legacies with B averages.
  • Silly PuddySilly Puddy Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    In case you didn't know already, german_car's our local disgruntled-Princeton-reject on CC ;)

Princeton's about 10% legacy, but it's also the case that far far more legacies get turned down than get in. If you buy what the admissions office says (and here, I do), it's more a tie-break/tipping-factor than a welcome-to-Princeton card, but still a nice thing in a tough applicant pool. Anecdotally, I'd say most of the legacies I've met on campus have been very sharp students, at least as strong as the non-legacies.

As for your specific grades, it's hard to tell how Princeton will interpret that without knowing more about your school, etc. A B+ at Stuyvesant is different from a B+ at a HS where many students graduate with straight A's.
  • samedifferencesamedifference Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    Anecdotal evidence, but: last year, I knew 3 students who applied to Princeton. Two were valedictorians (our school grants valedictorian status to everyone with a 4.4+ GPA), one of which was also a class officer and very active in our school, the second an award winning debater. Both had SATs above 2250s. The third was a legacy, with good, not great, stats and ECs. He was admitted. The valedictorians were not.
  • tjan91tjan91 Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    it definitely helps, but youre definitely not a shoo-in if youre a legacy. the advantage is hardly as pronounced as the post by samedifference above implies.
  • randombetchrandombetch Registered User Posts: 1,079 Senior Member
    Legacy kids are admitted at 4 times the regular rate... You only need to be in the top 40% of the legacy kids to get in - and a lot of legacy kids who apply are just doing it because they're legacy (they wouldn't have a shot at all if they weren't legacy, but think they have a chance because they are legacy). Overall, the quality of legacy kids applying is higher than the regular pool, but I don't think it's 4 times better. I think it is a huge advantage.
  • Silly PuddySilly Puddy Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Anecdotal evidence, but: last year, I knew 3 students who applied to Princeton. Two were valedictorians (our school grants valedictorian status to everyone with a 4.4+ GPA), one of which was also a class officer and very active in our school, the second an award winning debater. Both had SATs above 2250s. The third was a legacy, with good, not great, stats and ECs. He was admitted. The valedictorians were not.

Sure, but you see this sort of thing even with non-legacy applicants. I can tell you that people from my high school whom I considered more talented than me didn't get into Princeton when I did*. To some extent, this is a result of the fact that admissions staff can only judge applications, not applicants themselves, and to an extent, it's the result of a messy process where different schools and different people evaluate applications differently.

Look, I'm not discounting the value of being a legacy. I've heard those types of stories in my high school, too. But while the bar for legacies may be lower in the admissions process, nothing I've seen suggests it's much lower.

*Of course, they all ended up okay anyway. Princeton's a great place but fortunately not a requisite for success or happiness.
This discussion has been closed.