Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

BuckeyeMWDSG Member

417 Points 145 Visits 454 Posts
Last Active:
Registered User
  • Re: Increasing federal work study allowance?

    Check the university website, there may be other departments in need. Tutors, residence hall front desk attendants, food services, computer lab monitors, shelving books in a library, etc. My hubby worked in the maintenance dept. and did custodial work that wasn't part of work study.
  • Re: Increasing federal work study allowance?

    I wonder if your school would continue to employ you as a student worker rather than as a work study employee? When I was in school the university needed positions filled that went first to work study students, but gave other students the opportunity to work as well. I was never awarded work study, but still had plenty of hours of on campus work opportunities. My D didn't have work study awarded either, but was hired for an on campus student position as well.
  • Re: Question about College

    Check with the four year school with the engineering degree you want to attend. You may find they want you to take calculus based physics but the community college only offers algebra based physics. And many upper level engineering classes require a long series of prerequisites.

    There are community/technical colleges in Ohio that have programs specifically catered to partner institutions, but you need to really understand how those classes work together. For example, a two semester Chemistry series at our two-year technical college can be substituted as the one semester Chemistry for Engineers class at most of our state's four year universities. Private universities may or may not take those credits.

    But Ohio is very regulated, the state legislature actually mandates that state schools work together and agree on transferable credit guidelines. This was not always the case. And the two year colleges do offer some classes that don't have a transfer guarantee to meet the technical skills employers seek, so it may not be worth fulfilling the credits for a technical degree if you know you want to transfer.

    On the other hand, I know people that have gone through certificate programs at our vocational and technical colleges that are making more than starting engineers generally do. They are in a field with high demand in this area and are making money while the money is good. You should look for a community or technical college with an internship program. These pay well and give you hands on experience so you know what the job will be like.

    Before Ohio schools went through unification is was extremely difficult to transfer credits, and the norm was people would find they needed close to four years after community college or transferring between universities for a degree like engineering.

    Your answer is going to depend on which two schools, which classes are required for each program, whether there are transfer agreements in place and whether the requirements or transfer policies change over the course of your studies.
  • Re: EFC is more than what my parents can pay?

    Use this website's loan calculator to see the impact of your future debt and learn more about student loans before you decide to go take on debt. You need to look up current rates since these keep rising. Below the calculation will be the annual income needed to support the debt.

  • Re: Website for Test Score Based Scholarships?

    You could get 45% of tuition at University of Alabama - Huntsville with your score and a 3.0 gpa or 100% tuition if you can get the gpa up to 3.5


    GPA correlates better to university success than test scores - for scholarships most schools want to see both.