Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances of being a finalist/being matched?

humdumdumhumdumdum Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
edited September 2012 in Questbridge Programs
Not too sure where I stand on the National College Match. I'm planning on majoring in computer engineering, so I'm going for colleges like MIT, Cal Tech, Yale, Stanford, Brown, and USC. I feel like it's impossible, but I'm not typically confident anyways.

U/W GPA: 3.78/4.00
W GPA: 4.39/(5.00?)
Ranked top 3%, 26/825.

Took 4 APs so far, all 4s (Psych., USH, Eng. Comp., Chem.). Current schedule includes 7 APs (Spanish, Lit., Econ., Gov., Calc BC., Physics, Art History).

SAT I: 620 CR, 660 Math, 630 Writing (1910)
2nd SAT I: 600 CR, 690 Math, 680 Writing (1970)
SAT II: 740 Chemistry, 700 US History, 650 Math Level II (did not prepare, will definitely be retaking come October)

Mediocre ECs/activities - pretty much some 80-90 hours of community service, build computers from time to time (which is amateurish anyways).

Parent had 19k income, unemployed now. Asian, California resident.
Post edited by humdumdum on

Replies to: Chances of being a finalist/being matched?

• tomatocheeckstomatocheecks Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    it's really hard to tell based on stats alone. with Questbridge, it all comes down to your essays I think, it's a lot more personal than the regular admissions process. it doesn't hurt to apply, so I say do it!
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Registered User Posts: 3,501 Senior Member
    You have two separate issues here: becoming a QB finalist and getting into one or more of the schools you listed. You may well be able to become a finalist with an outstanding essay, but your chances of getting placed at most of the top schools you list is small (maybe USC).

My son is a computer science/applied math major and applied via QB last year. He had a perfect 36 ACT, two 800 SAT IIs, a class rank of 1/400 and multiple leadership roles in ECs and community service. Nevertheless, MIT and Yale turned him down. He didn't apply to CalTech, but CalTech is stats-driven and is unlikely to accept anyone with a Math II SAT much less than 780-800 (the curve is lenient and 11% of test takers get a perfect score).

He did get into Brown (and 3 others), but Brown puts a strong emphasis on ECs and especially community service, where you appear to lack strength.

It might be different if you were female or a URM; females get into MIT at twice the rate that males do.

Of course you should try. But you also need to apply to a staggered assortment of schools that are not impossibly hard to get into, including many outside of QB. Note that good grades in a field like computer science will likely land you a decent job regardless of where you attend college; with a more general liberal arts degree the prestige school is more likely to give you an employment edge.
This discussion has been closed.