right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Have you helped students increase their financial aid chances or families plan how to pay for college? Are you a Financial Aid officer at your school? We are recruiting panelists for an upcoming webinar so Private Message CCadmin_Sorin for consideration.
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

What counts as a decent story for college essays?

shreccccshrecccc 29 replies14 threads Junior Member
Long story short: New to the US from a small poor country, skipped a year, went from lowest to highest courses in a year, all A's throughout high school career, OK ECs, low income, low income struggles, taking care of family, financially helping family, bipolar sibling issues etc. What would colleges think about this?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What counts as a decent story for college essays?

• tdy123tdy123 1040 replies18 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Write the essay so that it is readable, interesting and compelling. The subject matter isn't as important as what you have to say about it. You want the admissions committee member reading the essay to think: This is someone I'd like to talk to and have on my campus.

This is particularly the case if you're applying through Questbridge, where the "overcoming obstacles" thing is kind of a given.

Showing a unique and interesting voice would be far more to your benefit as opposed to checking another box on the hardship list.

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • shreccccshrecccc 29 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Should I be casual and polite while writing or should I use unusual vocabs and stuff to make it look "professional" and try to evoke emotions?
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2423 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Be yourself and be memorable.
    · Reply · Share
  • shreccccshrecccc 29 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Got it
    · Reply · Share