right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Vassar vs. Reed

LAstudent721LAstudent721 2 replies4 threads New Member
I've done my research and understand that both are rather different schools with a few similarities; nonetheless, I was curious as to how y'all thought the two compare as far as reputation, opportunity, and careers go.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Vassar vs. Reed

• PublisherPublisher 9474 replies117 threads Senior Member
    edited September 2019
    Do you have a preference between the west coast & the east coast ?

My best guess is that if you would like to live & work in the Northeast US after college, then Vassar College might be the better & wiser choice (and vice versa).
    edited September 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1153 replies13 threads Senior Member
    Both are really excellent schools. Have you visited both? (I only just saw this thread). These are actually my D20's top 2 and she has visited both as well as about 15 other schools. They have a lot in common. I think Reed might be a tad quirkier and might appeal a bit more to students planning to head straight to grad school (although Vassar is good for that as well) and Vassar might be just a hare more conventional without actually being conventional.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10918 replies178 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2019
    With respect to post-graduation prospects, you can compare early career salaries through U.S. News if you'd like.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/reed-college-3217

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/vassar-college-2895
    edited October 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5817 replies84 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2019
    Short answer.

Reed has a intellectual vibe like a small Silicon Valley-esque version of U Chicago.

Vassar is also an intellectual place but more of NYC, SoHo vibe wrapped in a gorgeous and traditional east coast LAC campus.
    edited October 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18963 replies15370 threads Super Moderator
    merc81 wrote: »
    With respect to post-graduation prospects, you can compare early career salaries through U.S. News if you'd like.
    This would be a tad more meaningful for schools not known as grad school prep colleges.

· Reply · Share
    vonlost wrote: »
    [Early career salary indications] would be a tad more meaningful for schools not known as grad school prep colleges.

Nonetheless, Reed performs well in comparison to Vassar, which might reassure the OP should she be uncertain as to her post-graduation plans and inclined toward Reed.
    · Reply · Share
  • LAstudent721LAstudent721 2 replies4 threads New Member
    OP here (2020). My only issue w Reed vs. Vassar is that I am from California and feel I would be doing myself a disservice by not experiencing the east coast before 21.

I do feel a bit more passionate about Reed and Portland in general, but Vassar's prestige is also desirable. Another concern is that I don't think I want to necessarily go to grad school after college, and I feel that Vassar is better suited for pre-employment.

What do y'all think?
    · Reply · Share
  • MintwoodMintwood 95 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @LAstudent721 frankly, I think you should attend the school where you feel the strongest "connection." These are both top selective liberal arts colleges with no real difference in education quality. I wouldn't worry too much about never having visited the other coast before age '21. That shouldn't be the deciding factor. Perhaps I missed it in one of your earlier posts but have you already been accepted to both of them?
    · Reply · Share
    If Reed graduates who enter the workforce without graduate degrees earn more than those from Vassar, why do you think Reed would be less suitable for pre-employment?
    · Reply · Share
  • ItisatruthItisatruth 342 replies22 threads Member
    Some other differences to consider:
    * Slightly different first-year and distribution requirements
    * Much bigger endowment @ Vassar
    * Generally I'd say Vassar has the edge on facilities, but Reed did just open a brand new first-year dorm
    * Opportunity at Reed to become a certified nuclear reactor operator (!)
    * Reed's stats on 6-yr grad rates have always been low/worrisome.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 1
    Reed's admission yield lands well below those of its Eastern peers. Of those accepted by Reed last year, 17% attended. Vassar fared more typically for its class, with 32% of accepted applicants attending. Though these figures pertain to decisions made by others, you may want to consider them if you remain uncertain.
    edited February 1
    · Reply · Share