right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

I have a silly question

schoolstrugglesschoolstruggles 31 replies24 threads Junior Member
edited June 26 in Reed College
Is Reed elite?

Here's why I'm asking. I've been active on CC for a few days, and after receiving some answers to my questions, I followed the advice to go check Naviance. I did. Turns out some top liberal arts colleges like my school...and Reed was one of them. So I didn't see the usual "kids with 4.0s and 1500s getting rejected," like for Colgate, Williams, etc.

It may sound like a stupid question, but because there really is no ranking to go off of, is Reed an elite school?
edited June 26
6 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I have a silly question

• merc81merc81 11806 replies201 threads Senior Member
    edited April 30
    Though the below analysis was based on data from several years ago (and a different calibration of the SAT exam), you should note that it ranked Reed 44th in the nation by its standardized scoring profile. In the context NESCACs, for example, this was sufficient to place Reed in the vicinity of Wesleyan (#40) and Middlebury (#51).

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-610-smartest-colleges-in-america-2015-9
    edited April 30
    · Reply · Share
  • hokupaahokupaa 31 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Although I can't find it anymore, I once saw a video of an interview with a (former?) Reed admissions officer on YouTube. I recall him saying that Reed regularly rejects applicants with perfect SAT scores and 4.0 GPAs.
    · Reply · Share
  • joecollege44joecollege44 413 replies19 threads Member
    Reed is probably elite but it is unique and quirky. Do not apply there just because you think you have a good chance of getting in. You need to understand what you are getting into there or you could regret it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5359 replies90 threads Senior Member
    IMO...any school with a yield of 17% is not elite.

I am not saying Reed isn't a good school, or doesn't prepare students well for academia, or grad school, or jobs. But that low yield? Concerning.
    · Reply · Share
  • schoolstrugglesschoolstruggles 31 replies24 threads Junior Member
    edited May 1
    @joecollege44 I’ve heard that people who commit to Reed usually feel like they really “fit” there, so this might take a visit or two for me to even decide to apply or not.
    edited May 1
    · Reply · Share
  • InDebtForeverInDebtForever 17 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My child goes to Reed and loves it, but that being said it's not for everyone. I recommend that you consider a school based upon how well you like it and its ability to meet your needs vs. its perceived "eliteness". If you're considering going to graduate school Reed will definitely prepare you for it. Reed grads are often admitted to the top graduate programs in the country. Even if you don't go to graduate school it provides a great undergraduate education. Compared to the past Reed seems to be focusing a little bit more on careers/job opportunities for students right out of school. Not sure what you want to study but you should also consider the quality of the programs/majors at schools you are considering. Overall Reed is a strong school, but some programs are better than others. Same will be true of other schools you search out. I definitely recommend you visit the school more than once.. It would also be beneficial to interview with the school. Not only is it their time to see if you're a fit, but it gives you a chance to see if it's a fit for you. Visit some other schools for comparison and if Reed's still on your list then go back again. It will help you to solidfy if it's the right one for you.
    · Reply · Share