Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Reed-like qualities

2»

Replies to: Reed-like qualities

• peter05peter05 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    It is amusing that it is always a person a generation before me who is by virtue of the fact that he is not a student less likely to have the direct contacts with students that usually says something along the lines of a student "missing the point." I suppose you are correct: fleeting impressions always beat the direct experience. By the way, here is a recent article from the OWU bulletin about something else that Reed and OWU have in common: PhD Productivity
  • BandTenHutBandTenHut Registered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    If 500,000 people applied to Brooklyn Community College, would it instantly be considered the most selective college in the world?

If students at one college have better high school stats than another, the school is considered more selective... lest we consider one school better than another because it's smaller or more people apply.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 28,895 Super Moderator
    OWU Economics professor Bob Gitter said "[...] how well we stack up against [...] some pretty prestigious company, such as Amherst, Bowdoin, Davidson, [Wesleyan] and Reed"

Hey, it's not every day that Reed is called "prestigious" together with that fine group. :)
  • Ann Arbor dadAnn Arbor dad Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Peter, I'm not knocking OWU. Nor was Carolyn. The original poster asked about eastern schools with Reed-like qualities, and gave Marlboro and Sarah Lawrence as examples. Students at all three schools have a reputation for being quirky, politically liberal iconoclasts. Carolyn evidently had that in mind when she suggested that Beloit (and several other schools) would provide a more Reed-like atmosphere than OWU. Had her only criterion been near-Reed-like admissions standards, her list would have looked very different. After all, there are a number of schools she didn't mention that are located in the NY/NE area and have admissions standards closer to Reed's than either Beloit or OWU.

I don't blame you for disagreeing with her, even though you misunderstood her point. That you're proud enough of your school to defend it speaks well of both you and your school. What doesn't speak well of you or your school is the insult you tossed her way, and then your stubborn persistence in defending a position she proved wrong.
  • peter05peter05 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    You can't just pick and choose among a set of things that define a campus culture or "feel". You gotta pick something and stick with it for all schools (be it Beloit, OWU or Reed.) Say, student body or selectivity. Beloit and OWU are basically in a statistical tie in terms of selectivity or two close to make a definitive statement about a statistically significant difference...especially because OWU seems to be definitely more internationally and racially diverse than Beloit so this is something that obviously impacts academic profile...but even with this consideration...the numbers for score averages are just too close. She also made some claims about OWU (on another thread) regarding OWU's Honors program (about its rigor), OWU's location (Columbus area) and other similar aspects about the school which if you carefully examine and you happen to have direct observations with the school, you'd know she didn't what she was talking about at all. They were, by and large, her opinions about common facts...not about subjectively measured aspects. But I don't blame her...she had the perspective of someone who was unfamiliar with OWU (no recent visit) and has a son who attends Beloit (a school she compared to Reed). So much for an unbiased opinion from her there. I also understand she is running a business with advising students and making a living out of it so I'd understand why someone who happens to make an unprepared statement would be slightly defensive about it later on.

But the points that she raised about OWU were disproved elsewhere...so I don't think anybody wants to continue this argument so I am surprised you are raising it again? If you are going to be defending you are coming 4 months late.
2»
This discussion has been closed.