Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Reed and Ohio Wesleyan

Replies to: Reed and Ohio Wesleyan

• carolyncarolyn Registered User Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    OK, as an alumnus, you are obviously more knowledgable about OWU students. So, perhaps I have missed something during my visits. In answer to your points above, perhaps you could point me to some answers about the questions below.

(1) "At OWU, you will fiind mostly very nice but very middle of the road students"

Honestly, would most OWU students feel comfortable parading naked during freshman orientation week? With the crazy off the wall zaniness of Renn Fayre? How open are OWU students about alternative life styles and alternative points of view(and I don't consider voting for John Kerry an alternative point of view, or even a particularly liberal one. :) ) Does OWU sell school sweatshirts in its bookstore that say "Ohio Wesleyan. Atheism, communism, free love" If so, I must have missed them.

(2) "OWU has a very active athletic program"

Reed has NO varsity athletic program. Are you saying that OWU has no varsity athletic program? That's news to me. Maybe someone should tell the admissions department so they can remove the homecoming pictures from the website.

(3) "OWU has its honors program and its freshman tutorials, but these are a watered down version of the intense expectations Reed has for its students"

Please go to Reed's website and do a search for the reading list for Hum 110, the required freshman course at Reed. Then, read up on the requirements for Reed's thesis. Or, perhaps during your visit you went up into the thesis tower and read some Reed theses so you are already familiar with them. How about Reed's requirement that all seniors pass a comprehensive exam in their subject area before being allowed to enter their senior year. Again, perhaps I am mistaken and OWU has similar requirements for ALL students, not just those in the honors program. Enlighten me.

(4) "Nothing wrong with Ohio, but I don't think anyone thinks "hip and happening" when they hear "Ohio."

I can't argue with you on this one. Obviously, in your view, Ohio is quite hip and happening and Delaware is a hidden gem of culture. I'll take your word for it. By the way, what's the independent music scene like in Delaware?
  • collegeprep11collegeprep11 Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    wesleyan is just as good as reed...i'm talking about the 'real' wesleyan in connecticut :)
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,897 Senior Member
    Now that's a comparison that's worthy of consideration, both on the academic and the student culture side. I would have put Wes into the "colleges like Reed" group on that other thread, along with Oberlin, Grinnell, Beloit, Bard, and a few others. Of course, none of these schools is exactly like any of the others. But they have some basic similarities for those who want to do comparison shopping.
  • peter05peter05 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    OWU is not like Reed, but Beloit is? A school that's even less selective than OWU and has student body features more like other Midwestern LACs? You gotta be kidding me...
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 29,668 Super Moderator
    Which schools are like others is quite subjective, and varies from list to list. E.g., this is Lawrence University's official peer group (a few schools publish an "official" list):

Bates, Beloit, Carleton, Wooster, Denison, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Grinnell, Hamilton, Hampshire, Smith, Kalamazoo, Kenyon, Knox, Macalester, Oberlin, Occidental, Pitzer, Reed, Rhodes, Ripon, St. Olaf, Whitman.

Similarly, as peers, these schools list Beloit and Reed, but not OWU:

Puget Sound, Earlham, Lake Forest, Macalester

It's really tedious to gather this info via Google, but if there's a list which includes OWU and Reed, I didn't find it.
    vossron,

The Princeton Review lists the following peer schools based on cross-applicationt's data:

For OWU: Denison University, Depauw University, Kenyon College, Oberlin College, Reed College, College of Wooster, Wittenberg

For Reed: Knox College, Lawrence University, Lewis and Clark College, Oberlin College, Pomona College, Swarthmore College, Willamette University.

I've only selected the LACs on the PR list.

Do you know how Princeton Review methodology was developed?
    Thanks. Other than, as you say, using cross-application data, I do not know, but maybe I'm about to find out ...
  • meganvirgmeganvirg Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    Reed and OWU comparison

From OWU web site and for Reed from College Board

Ohio Wesleyan Reed

GPA average 3.3 95% above 3.25

State from Ohio 53% from Oregon 7 %

Top 10%
    of HS Class 30% 67%

Top 25%
    of HS Class 52% 89%

Average ACT 24-29 28-32

Average SAT 1100-1320 1280-1460

AP Credit any 4 depends on dept
    could be a 4 or 5

OWU is a good school, but it is not comparable to Reed as the above factual data clearly shows.

Others have posted about the uniquely individualistic mature of some of Reed students. OWU students are primarily from Ohio and from the above data appear to be good students with fine records in HS, as a general statement.
  • meganvirgmeganvirg Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    In the interests of full disclosure to anyone seeking clarity on this question:

Princeton Review has a listing of schools that persons viewing the profile of OWU have also looked at (not applied, but merely looked at) these other colleges.

The 20 schools listed include 6 LAC's, 8 state Universities and 6 private universities. The states included Florida, Utah, Arizona, North Carolina, California (3), Penn (2),New York, Ohio (8), Oregon.

BTW on the College board Site they list 15 schools that were viewed by persons who also viewed Ohio Wesleyan. One of the 15 schools was Harvard.

I quess we can expect to hear now that Harvard has been viewed by some persons viewing OWU that OWU is now comparable to Harvard.

For the record on the college Board site the schools viewed by persons viewing Reed are listed these schools:

Boston Univ., Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Lewis & Clark (another Oregon school), New York Univ., Oberlin, Stanford, Tufts, Vassar, U of Calif at Berkeley, U. of Chicago, and Yale.
    From the Princeton Review "Statistics" page for each school:

Students Who Apply to Beloit Also Apply To
    Lawrence University , Macalester College , Carleton College , Earlham College , Grinnell College , Knox College

Students Who Apply to Ohio Wesleyan Also Apply To
    The College of Wooster , Wittenberg University , Denison University , DePauw University , Ohio University-Athens , Miami University , Kenyon College , The Ohio State University - Columbus

(but Reed is on OWU's "Looked at" list)

Students Who Apply to Reed Also Apply To
    Oberlin College , Pomona College , University of Chicago , Lewis & Clark College , University of California-Berkeley , University of California-San Diego , University of California-Santa Cruz , Stanford University , Yale University , Swarthmore College
    the OP's first message stated "I am not interested in the rankings and average statistics as I can see those in the guidebooks."
  • Charlie's WorldCharlie's World Registered User Posts: 493 Member
    Wow, a 4 page thread on Reed and OWU. Reed is the St John's College of the left coast, one of the two most intellectual schools in America. Reed is for a select few and many drop out b/c the social atmosphere and/or harsh academics are not for them. OWU is truly more "middle of the road." Both are good schools, w/ Reed b/c of its intensity being a notch above. OWU has a more homogeneous group, while at Reed students go too far out of their way to be different.
  • TrinSFTrinSF Registered User Posts: 1,482 Senior Member
    Well, CW, that seems obvious to the rest of us, but evidently actually graduating from OWU gives you a kind of selective blindness about the issue. :-)
    Touche. Fallen victim of a very rigorous petard. I am confident you can do better than that.
    ROTFL --- "petard" is derived from "peter" !!! Sorry, couldn't resist...
This discussion has been closed.