Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

REED: a complete druggy school??

measureyourlifeinlovemeasureyourlifeinlove Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
edited May 2005 in Reed College
Discuss..................................
Post edited by measureyourlifeinlove on

Replies to: REED: a complete druggy school??

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    Why do you ask measure?
    To reiterate a question I posed on another thread- do you want to apply or to picket?
  • measureyourlifeinlovemeasureyourlifeinlove Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    actually i really like it and really want to apply this year, but my parents and GC are telling me not to... so i wanted to see others perspectives that might know better
  • NewsgirlNewsgirl Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    I think you will encounter drug use at most schools, (except perhaps the religious and very conservative campuses.)

I suspect because Reed has the honor code, it is probably more tolerant of drug use.

But I also suspect that because Reed is a very challenging school, with fairly rigid requirements, that drug using slacker types would not last long there.

I am only supposing...
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    This is repeating info that has been brought up before- but
    there is no more drug use at Reed than other schools and perhaps less substance use than at schools where socializing=partying and there is no chance to leave the bubble
    It is a very rigourous academic school and while they do have at least one big blow out every year ( Last weekend for example) a big blow out means having wild crazy fun which you do not have to be high to have.
  • spoonyjspoonyj Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    Reed is a tough school. Burn-outs become drop-outs. Yes, there is tolerance for drug use, but the bottom line is that Reed is like almost any other school: It's a complete druggy school if you let it be. I never took drugs there and never felt any pressure to do so.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,909 Senior Member
    I never took drugs there and never felt any pressure to do so.
    Nor did I.

I did have more than a few beers, though.
This discussion has been closed.