Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances ?

JustASeniorJustASenior Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
Sorry to post ANOTHER chance thread, but I want to know if RPI could be a safety for me:
SAT 1: 2390 (790 Writing)
SAT II: 800 Physics, 790 Math 2
GPA: 3.6 UW
I'm Asian and international, and I'll probably be applying for a major in cognitive science.
Post edited by JustASenior on

Replies to: What are my chances ?

• sandpitsandpit Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    While your stats are very impressive, you don't mention activities, jobs or recommendations and your GPA is on the low side for your SATs which implies either a very tough high school or laziness. I think calling it a safety is a bit much because if they get the impression it is a safety, they may opt to accept someone who truly cares about RPI (as evidenced through visits, etc).
  • MechE76MechE76 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Possibilities:
    1. The stats of the person asking the question don't match the ones stated.
    2. The stats are accurate, but more humility might help in the social department.
  • susgeeksusgeek Registered User Posts: 1,603 Senior Member
    RPI would not be a "safety" for anyone. A "match" perhaps, but it is quite competitive.
  • JustASeniorJustASenior Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    I just checked this!

I'm sorry if I came across as arrogant, I was actually asking if RPI *could* be a safety. Of course I was open to it being a match or even a reach, for that matter. As I mentioned, I'm international so I have little or no idea how competitive colleges that aren't Ivy are.

And yes, my high school is REALLY competitive. I'm assuming my GPA would be about 3.6.. We don't actually have a GPA system here, so I'm not sure how it'd work.

Thanks everyone for your replies ! :)
  • rico2rico2 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Main issue with RPI is the plunging acceptance rate. As a graduate, I stay in contact with the school fairly often and current projections should give acceptance rate in the low 30s% range for this cycle. This is compared to nearly 80% eight years ago.

So R.P.I. is a definate possibility if you have good ECs to go with those stats but it is not a safety school for anyone.
This discussion has been closed.