Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Performing arts at RPI?

weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
Does anybody know anything about the RPI Symphonic Orchestra, or other performing arts opportunities for cello players? Their web site is really outdated for music info.

Thanks.
Post edited by weenie on

Replies to: Performing arts at RPI?

• originaloogoriginaloog Registered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I believe there are auditions for both the symphonic orch and jazz bands and you get one credit hour for attending rehersals. I think the symphonic orchestra performs once or twice a year at the Troy Music Hall which is purported to have world famous acoustics. Record producers regularly use it for recording classical orchestras and enssembles.

If daughter plays any nonstring instruments, the Pep Band is a lot of fun and they get to attend hockey home games free and travel to some weekend away games Practices are Saturday am's.

While on the subject of music, RPI has several accapella groups, the Rensselaerics and the Rusty Pipes. These are fun too.

The performance spaces in the new EMPAC building seem exciting. http://empac.rpi.edu/research/
    http://empac.rpi.edu/building/
  • everyprincesseveryprincess Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    There is also the rpi players. I'm a player. We put on plays and musicals every year and just have a blast! It's a lot of fun, like for the musical they are always in need of an orchestra pit, and cello players are needed. The musical is a lot of fun and you could meet a lot of great people through the players.
  • weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    everyprincess:

Is there much opportunity for a freshman to participate in stage crew? He loves doing that too.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • seg9585seg9585 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    weenie--
    Definitely, my roommate is nuts about Players, and is one of the sound technicians. A few other friends do stage crew, lighting, and set design. They all started as freshmen and are always looking for help as far as I know
    Thanks! I know when we toured Rensselaer, my son really liked that the playhouse was right in the middle of everything and looked pretty vibrant.
    You always know whether theres a show going on because they project a spotlight that says "RPI Players" on the CII, its kinda neat. I usually go to shows if they arent during the hockey season
    What is the CII?
    the big building in the middle of campus, the "Center for Industrial Innovation", aka the Lowe Building
This discussion has been closed.