Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How is housing at RPI?

Applelover23Applelover23 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
I am picking a dorm now, and I was wondering which residences hall are the best. I really like how the Quad is close to everything, and I like the freshman 5 for meeting alot of people. Is it possible to request a single-gender floor or wing (for female)? Which halls have A/C? I know BARH is far away from classes, are any other residence halls far away from classes?
Post edited by Applelover23 on

Replies to: How is housing at RPI?

• alexzxzalexzxz Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    If you're into sports, BARH is preferable, but otherwise the distance is probably not worth it. It's about a 10 min walk or so from the dorms, so even further from the classes.

BARH is the only distant dorm as you can see in this map:
    http://www.rpi.edu/tour/rpi_campus_map_2010.pdf

The other dorms are clustered together except the Quad which is on the academic side of campus.

"All residence halls are coed and have either suite bathrooms (shared between two same-gender rooms) or designated male and female bathrooms. First-year female students are assigned to clusters of rooms in coed areas."

This site is very helpful, tons of dorm pictures:
    [url]http://rpirooms.****/roomphotos[/url]

Quad - two double rooms share a suite bath. Rooms are irregularly shaped. VERY close to class. No long hallways - often quieter. Upperclassmen on the third floor. Close to Sage Dining Hall. A/C.

Freshman Five (Bray, Cary, Nason, Crockett, Hall) - all very similar. Kind of plain-Jane rooms. Long hallways, lots of social-ness. Part of some of these halls is devoted to: Wellness Housing (Bray), Vasudha Housing (Nason), Leadership Housing (Hall), Design and the Arts Housing (Cary). Close to Commons Dining Hall. Community/floor style bathrooms.

Barton - newest residence hall. A/C. Mostly triples. Close to Commons Dining Hall. Two triples share a suite bath in some cases. In other cases, there is a community/floor bathroom.

BARH - very close to ECAV/athletic facilities. Similar plain-Jane as Freshman Five. I believe two doubles share a suite bathroom. Has BARH dining hall within. Farthest from classes. Lots of lounge space.
This discussion has been closed.