Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Honest Review of RPI After 5 Years

Replies to: Honest Review of RPI After 5 Years

• annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    Hence I am not surprised with the 16% unemployment rate and I am truly concerned.
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 466 Member
    Do all RPI Medalists get the same scholarship offer? If the scholarship offer exceeds what the family is supposed to pay on the FAFSA, will the family pay nothing or does RPI adjust the financial aid package?
  • blevineblevine Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    Location of a school makes a huge difference in campus recruiting.
    Troy is a terrible location. My NYC employer interviews kids from NYU, Columbia and some other local schools,
    we rarely travel to career fairs far from NYC. When I was a student in Boston, most of the employers specifically looking for graduates and interns were Boston area employers who could easily send staff on campus.
    To me this was one of the big negatives of RPI over some of the other options my son had....

That said, RPI engineers and comp sci grads are highly respected and sought after, but you must reach out to employers and sell yourself a bit more. But the quality of education prepares you as well or better than many universities for the interviews you will get. My 2 sons took many of the same courses at RPI and another top STEM school. I was more impressed with the quality of the teaching at RPI than the Ivy STEM education.

I carefully weighed many options with my son, partially speaking to hiring engineers.
    One of my college buddies is the top executive in a major STEM research center in the northeast.
    He hires PhD scientists and engineers, and he said he wouldn't hesitate for a second to interview an RPI grad.
    The further you get away from engineering and comp sci, the more trouble you would have but how many really go to RPI for anything else ? If you study business, yes RPI will be a tough sell, and that does drag down the placement stats. Many tech schools are beefing up the business school to have a place for ex-engineering majors and athletes, but this has to impact overall placement rates. No way RPI Lally is beating Wharton, NYU Stern, Columbia etc for undergrad b-school, but who cares ? You care about YOUR MAJOR. I would love to see the placement stats by major for each school. Would be more useful.
  • 123France123France Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    For what it is worth, I will chime in here. My son graduated RPI in May 2017 with a degree in Information Technology and Web Science. His GPA was less than stellar. He attended the Job Fair his senior year and secured a job with a company based in NYC by March 2017. One week before graduation, he received an email from the company stating that they were rescinding all their entry level offers due to financial issues. By July he had an offer with a software company in NJ. The COO saw his resume on LinkedIn and reached out to him. One of the first things the COO said is “I see you’re a graduate of RPI. We would love to talk to you.” Three interviews and a technical test later, he was offered a job.

Do I think the RPI Name helped land a job? Yes, I do. I also think it is important to network as much as you can. Also, make sure your LinkedIn account is up to date. Look for RPI alums on LinkedIn in your related field and reach out to them.

• VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    I am disappointed to hear about the lackluster Career Center. I attended grad school at RPI and also recruited there. The career center was a first rate organization. The career fair was impressive, and run by the Center. As RPI is a smaller school, a ‘standalone’ Career Center is appropriate, and I do not think this is an issue.

There is a balance between GPA and how far the reputation of the school gets you. Most companies recruit with a GPA cutoff in mind. And I doubt RPI earns a lower cutoff compared to other recruited schools. It’s not like engineering is really easy anywhere. While we all understand issues of grade inflation/deflation, I don’t know if that is enough to account for a recruiting problem, if there is one.
  • RPIchemEsonRPIchemEson Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    ...and yet I gather they do come (employers) to the RPI career fairs? Or not so anymore? As connected and mobile as we are this millennium, it's hard to believe significant employers with national or global reach would be so insular as to ignore everybody outside of Boston, NY and DC...
    FAFSA EFC is, or can be, ***way*** lower than what RPI expects families to pay! I expect that's why we complete both the FAFSA and the CSS. TCA this year is about $72K for everything, $25K out of that for the Medal leaves $47K, if you have all of that additional covered with other merit/need grants, you're doing great! But not, Medalists do not all get the same additional aid package/offer -- it's up to any additional merit/need grants they can do for you as well.
    It's hard to make a case with just one anecdote (1 grad job seeker) -- so many factors why someone gets the job, or not. The thing about "low GPA" -- what's "low"? I think 3.0 and above is a reasonable expectation? While that would certainly have been "low" in High School. 3.0-3.5 range are required for various co-term and other selective programs -- and I had read somewhere some employers would seek 3.0 and above. Maybe some 2.0's and 2.5's but 3.0+ cumulative...? Also depends upon a.) employment demand and b.) supply of graduates in a given field, right?
    I don't think though, that it's unreasonable to say there is some compensation for a bit lower grades from a more selective, competitive school. The recognize RPI (and other schools), and understand they're not all graduating with 4.0 averages.
    I understand internships/co-ops are available anytime you can get one. Your "eligibilty" stops while you are out on one or the other. I'm thinking a Fall or Spring off-campus is a better opportunity for a longer co-op...? Some employers might have better opportunities there, vs. the shorter time off in the Summer....?
    Outcomes seem like they should still be very good for NukeE, ChemE, ECSE, "average" for some others, and maybe a little more challenging for some in BME, CE, EE and some others. I expect that's true, relatively per major, anywhere.
    "Spent 5 years at RPI getting my bachelors and masters in Biomedical Engineering (BME) through the co-terminal program and was heavily involved with athletics. I spent a summer doing research off-campus, 2 summers at internships in a large biotech company, 2 semesters doing on-campus research and currently have a job with a large medical device firm." I have to say this sounds like opportunities and results turned out pretty well for you, though?
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    shuttlebus regarding BS BME placement rates. There are many reasons that the placement rates are so low and this is not exclusive to RPI. I believe the suggestion for ME or EE or possibly ChemE is a good one. I know of people with an Aerospace Engineering degree who were kicked out of the pool because the job asked for an Aeronautical Engineering degree. I think there was a two course difference. The broader disciplines provide more opportunities and would not preclude your son from pursuing a career in the biomedical field.
  • randomdude532randomdude532 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    bump for those considering the school for this year