right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Honest Review of RPI After 5 Years

13»

Replies to: Honest Review of RPI After 5 Years

• GeekyFamilyGeekyFamily 8 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited March 11
    @randomdude532 Thanks for the very detailed and honest review. I have no experience of attending RPI but I would agree with you in that as good a school as RPI is (on paper), it is not worth paying $80K/year to get an undergraduate education here.
    edited March 11
    · Reply · Share
  • Spark2018Spark2018 73 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @GeekyFamily harsh conclusion after being a member for 1 day. I suggest good or bad, including any of my posts, you take social media posts with some caution. I have read posts about many schools here, and almost all have negative posts. Many have overblown positive ones too. I can't explain one's motivation other than my own, which is at this point to help inform at the schools my kids attend. It is clear to me, that some posts are fueled by not getting in, or having an individual bad experience and trying to make it the general experience. RPI, like many private NE school, is expensive. If you are looking for value, a private NE school is rarely going to look good, short of a sports scholarship / full ride. RPI is priced with its peers. RPI is a great school on paper, and in person. Is it the best fit for you ? The best value ? That is a different question.
    · Reply · Share
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st 117 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    If you have questions ask RPI and do not accept generic answers. I always prefer e-mail so there is a written record and one does not play phone tag. Sometimes questions require some thought to answer correctly. The phone does not lend itself to this.

Read the poly poly.rpi.edu This is the student newspaper. If I got the link wrong google rensselaer polytechnic newspaper. You can also check the poly archives to see what has happened based on a student's perspective.

Ask for copies of the presentations etc made during the accepted student days. This will help you take notes and not miscopy key information.

Consider just visiting during GM week the week of Student Government Elections to see what is going on. Introduce yourself to students and ask if they can answer a few questions.

Determine if it feels right compared to other schools.

That's how I made my final decision many years ago (I will not answer how many except to say it was more than 20). I never regretted it.

All the best.
    · Reply · Share
  • Spark2018Spark2018 73 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @StudentsR1st well stated !
    · Reply · Share
  • randomdude532randomdude532 35 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Spark2018 totally agree with your thoughts, generally students who have negative experiences are more likely to post on media sites such as this than ones with neutral or above average experiences.

With the influx of activity from newly admitted students, please ask if anyone has any questions about the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st 117 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Students in the first and sophomore year are required to live on campus in the Residential Commons with their class cluster. Sophomore students may elect to live in their affiliated Greek Chapter house if they are an active member and fulfill all other obligations as part of the good standing and by-laws of each Greek chapter house.

From: http://catalog.rpi.edu/content.php?catoid=18&navoid=433#student_living_learning

All Second Year students are required to live and dine on campus. The exception is those with an approved Greek Commons Application.

From: https://www.rpi.edu/dept/res-life/forms/UpperclassmenRoom-BoardRates2018-19.pdf
    · Reply · Share