right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

RPI Vs RIT

2»

Replies to: RPI Vs RIT

• annamomannamom 1304 replies145 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    BTW, my kid is a freshman. I would hope that Summer Arch is successful and kids are able to find what they want to do during their "away" semester. Even so, I am concerned with the requirement of taking a full course load during summer which is shorter.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ultramarine777Ultramarine777 56 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @annamom, NEU does not require to do full summer load, but instead the students need to take 2-3 half summers if the they want to graduate in 4 years. NEU also requires students to stay 2 first years on campus. My concern with RPI not so much studying during summer, but that they do not do a good job finding co-ops for students.
    · Reply · Share
  • annamomannamom 1304 replies145 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    @Ultramarine777 There is no argument that if a student "misses" a semester and if the student wants to graduate in 4 years, the student will have to somehow make up the course work. The problem with Summer Arch is that the student is required to take a full load in summer after sophomore (with a few exceptions) and (as of now) stay on campus during the summer. This applies to students who have some transferred credits such as AP courses and could have graduated in 3 1/2 and won't mind staying for 4 years for an internship if available.

RPI has "always required" students live on campus for the first two years, it is not the issue here. The summer arch makes it 2 1/2 . I am also concerned with their ability in helping the students, obviously we are not expecting them to hand the students a job, but to bring in more employers will help. I guess we will find out more after 2019-2020 school year.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 12
    @Ultramarine777 You got me thinking (along the line of making up the credits)... When many people talked about summer arch, they associated it with co-op/internships, but as I understand it, it is not a co-op program, It is a summer at RPI and a semester away. https://info.rpi.edu/the-arch If anyone were to look into the semester away "opportunities", they include "study at another US institution" or "study abroad" . Is those cases, why would someone needs to take a full course load in the summer? I assume in some cases, some courses may not transfer, but a full course load in the summer for everyone who "chooses" the "study at another US institution" or "study abroad" ?
    Obviously, the semester away program can be used as co-op/internship if a student can find it within the timeframe.
    edited April 12
    · Reply · Share