Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

RPI Class of 2023 Thread

Replies to: RPI Class of 2023 Thread

• SnoogieMomSnoogieMom Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    @rileysmom, we have not received any correspondence from RPI after my son got his acceptance either, aside from the accepted students day postcard. He has received numerous e-mails and mailings from NJIT, and received a personal phone call from the head mechanical engineering professor at Stevens Institute of Technology this weekend. I'm not saying these gestures will sway his decision, but it certainly is nice to feel "wanted". :)
  • Sam4818Sam4818 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @StudentsR1st We are from CO and we don't have the NAAB accredited B.Arch program in state. Therefore we knew right from the beginning everything is going to be OOS for us. There are 4 schools D is considering as of now . We will be touring all these 4 schools. Its expensive and time consuming for sure as they are across the country from us but definitely not impractical from our point of view. We need to determine the perfect fit before taking any decision as its a question of 5 years and a huge investment.
    @rileysmom We have been receiving emails and pamphlets constantly in the email from RPI apart from the phone calls. As someone said not that it will influence our decision but its nice to feel "wanted".
    @nani378 What is this SIS system?
  • rileysmomrileysmom Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    @SnoogieMom I agree, it is nice to have the feeling that the college really does want the students they accepted. The school that is showering him/us with “attention” is RIT. I don’t know if they are swaying my son but it is certainly swaying me.
    @rileysmom I agree RPI is swaying me if not D.
  • rileysmomrileysmom Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    @sam4818. I’m glad RPI is giving you the attention, it appears that the Architecture school has figured out how to get student/families attention. Bummer the other school haven’t caught up. I honestly love RPI for my son, think it’s perfect for him. I wish I felt that they wanted him to attend as much as I want him to attend.
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    edited April 3
    SIS is the student information system.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • nani378nani378 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @Sam4818 it is the system that you have to log into to register for your classes and stuff. To activate your account the first time you use your application ID number and your birthday as the password and then it will tell you change it. You can access it from the accepted student website where it says register for orientation”online”
  • CollegeGrad79CollegeGrad79 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    edited April 3
    I support ALL students and alumni, whether they complain, or are happy with the Tute..

WHY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD?
    "At Rensselaer, we work to change the world by linking the research we do—and the education we offer—to the great global challenges of our time."
    World changers "consistently, persistently make interesting and bold choices that enlarge their own capacities, and that alter the circumstances in which they find themselves—for the better."
    Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D. President, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (February 2014)
  • RPIparent77RPIparent77 Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    PLEASE consider the summer ARCH program that RPI just launched. It is completely unreasonable and you pay huge money for it! Please read all the reviews about it! This program is devaluing the school massive and making it very difficult to financially attend this school! No schools mandate that Juniors live on campus but RPI is and a very steep cost. NO they do not meet need!! They provide a package and tell you it will be easier when your child moves off campus, except they can't!! Not many off campus housing will take a 3 month lease and the admin staff is aware of this. On top of this there is not enough housing to accommodate all these students! RPI is in massive debt and this is the way they are trying to generate income and it is hurting the students greatly!
  • RPIparent77RPIparent77 Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    To clarify the summer semester is mandatory that they live on campus. Housing is not chosen it is dictated and it is freshman double, triple type dorms. This leaves 1 semester (fall or spring) for the remainder of their Jr. year.... which also equals on campus housing because landlords do not have openings for 1 semester and require a full year lease. So be prepared to live on campus for most of your 4 years at a steep cost. Also - with very little break from classes. The campus is blowing up right now with the students and yes staff dislike this new program too!
  • annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    ^^ add to the above. Many people associate the Summer Arch with the opportunities for internship. While the students are required to be "away" for one semester, internship is just one of the many options.
  • benee16benee16 Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    My CS accepted son did not get any calls or departent email either. It's a shame. My husband is an alumni and you would think they would make more of an effort. All of the other colleges my son has been accepted to have been reaching out through email and mail. Not impressed with this arch program being forced on them either. To have to pay for summer housing and meal plan with limited class offerings. The more I hear about this arch program, the more greedy I think the school is.
  • mikemeatballmikemeatball Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Would you please specify the name of the off-campus dorm your son is housed?
  • CollegeGrad79CollegeGrad79 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Regarding contact from RPI after acceptance. Did a bit of research and found that RPi has a yield rate of about 20%, which is very low. Yield rate is the %age of accepted students who choose to enroll at a particular college. High yield rates for colleges are above 50% to about 80%. Students are eager to enroll at these colleges. The 25 major colleges that have the lowest yield rates are all below 16%. From the above posts, it's easy to see why their yield rate is so low. Happy to hear that the Architecture school understands what it takes to get a student to enroll at the Tute.