right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Summer Arch housing fiasco

Replies to: Summer Arch housing fiasco

• SitcomDadSitcomDad 5 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    My current theory is that the Arch housing mess is caused by a combination of bad planning and financial incentives. They clearly didn't think it was important to give all the Arch students a comparable experience, as it would have required them to renovate more dorms (and maybe forgo income from summer camps). I did hear during a webinar about Arch that there are plans to let Greek houses participate in the future, but they didn't go into any details about how they would qualify. I don't see how the quality of the facilities is RPI's business since these are not minors in their legal custody, so maybe that's just an excuse.
    · Reply · Share
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st 107 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    SitcomDad: You are right on target. Arch is meant to increase cash flow and nothing else. It is built on CLASS which was designed for the same thing. I have never seen a cost-benefit analysis for CLASS.
    · Reply · Share
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool 1184 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    edited February 17
    Hope RPI realizes that they lost candidates (who decided not to apply) due to this new requirement, not to mention their lack of support from alumni and declining donations. I also didn't like the way the RPI medal was handled (some schools only giving it to females etc).
    Also with STEM/Engineering being hot fields, it's surprising they are having such issues right now. And they should have dorms for ARCH...camps should not take priority over housing. In many cases, people getting the RPI Medal have no interest in RPI. It's just another marketing tool.
    edited February 17
    · Reply · Share
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st 107 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Students need a break. 4 consecutive terms in 16 months without a break for the half of the Arch students on campus during the Fall of their Jr Year. As opposed to 4 terms over 2 years with a major break between terms 2 and 3. For those who will be on campus during the Spring of their Jr year - 3 consecutive terms without a break to culminate their UG experience. This is not to mention that all Sophomores face one calendar year without a break. Its is not about students it is about cash flow. Finally it is sad, but not surprising to hear that the Rensselaer Medal is now just seen as a marketing tool.
    · Reply · Share
  • annamomannamom 1304 replies145 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    it is not only 2 consecutive terms without a break, I think the summer program may be too intense, a regular semester's courses taken in a shortened summer terms is just too much.
    · Reply · Share
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool 1184 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Yes, and maybe kids want to go home and spend time with family in the summer , or work a traditional summer internship. This program should be offered but not required.
    · Reply · Share
  • Spark2018Spark2018 69 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    I agree, Arch should be an option. Designed correctly, they should be able to make it an attractive choice, and all would be good in the universe. Maybe Arch equals an easier path to a Masters. Or a on campus research experience, maybe with an industry partner. I don't know. While very happy with our choice to attend RPI, the Arch was certainly in the - column.
    · Reply · Share
  • blevineblevine 851 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 880 Member
    My son is in the last class NOT required to participate. They were given the option. Asked my son if he was considering and his answer was ..... hell no, I am not spending my summer here :-)
    RPI is a great school academically, but not exactly a great location to spend the summer.

Funny, he is doing a part time coop in-semester but had great internships each summer, ones he might not have been able to attend if he was forced into Arch. Arch is one of many self inflicted problems at RPI, a great school that is ruining what makes it special.
    · Reply · Share
    If arch is such a negative, I suggest requesting a report of its advantages and success stories. How does the pilot group differ from those who chose not to do arch? What are the numbers? What changes were made based on the pilot experience? What is being looked at this year? How is success measured? Parents and students could petition the President and the Board to make Arch permanent, optional or abolished based on the findings.

Give RPI the chance to prove it benefits students (compared to the alternative) and is not just a cash flow fix.
    · Reply · Share
  • randomdude532randomdude532 33 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I am friends with current students that work at the CCPD (career center) and I've asked them about reports regarding The Arch program. You will find that no such reports exist because the program has been such a massive failure. For example, placement rates into co-op programs being sub ~50% for the initial pilot experience of 100 students. I can't imagine what it will be like with 1300 kids looking for a co-ops simultaneously. RPI has built no infrastructure to support this. Administration in the CCPD and supporting The Arch program are quitting because of the insane and unrealistic pressures created from a program that was implemented without thought put into how to actually support it, because it is almost exclusively a money grab by the Institute.

The only success stories RPI will share will be on an individual student basis. This is because the broader statistics will paint a much darker picture.

Students are transferring because they are required to be in the program for the summer, but also have a summer internship offer. The internship offer is more valuable than an RPI education so they go elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • lovemycatslovemycats 121 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    This program is now required for all incoming students or depending on major? My son will be computer science? Still waiting to hear on acceptance. When we visited we were told it was an optional program.
    · Reply · Share
    Based on the student newspaper and all relevant RPI information Arch is now required for all undergraduates. Major does not matter.
    · Reply · Share
  • atxfatheratxfather 53 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    I think that when my daughter applied last year, the common app supplemental questions for RPI had a page stating that ARCH is required and made the applicant check a box indicating that they understand that. They have been pretty clear that starting with last year incoming class it wasn't optional.
    · Reply · Share
  • shuttlebusshuttlebus 438 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 439 Member
    There are exceptions to the ARCH program. The exceptions are stated on RPI's website.
    · Reply · Share
    Here is the list:
    Sports: Cross Country/Track & Field, Golf, Basketball, Hockey, Swimming & Diving, Tennis (M+W),
    ROTC: Navy and AirForce
    Albany Med Pre-Med Program

Sports seems to be the main reason for exceptions. I am guessing this means teams not intramural involvement. The exception form which would shed more light on this subject is not available. However it is clear all majors are required to participate in Arch.

I encourage all potential and accepted students to ask lots of questions when they contact/visit campus. By the time incoming students are required to participate in Arch - Greek Housing (which would be cheaper) should be an option. Why Greek Housing is an option and not students own apartments (which they usually have to rent for a year) is beyond me. Removing the housing requirement would be a great way to save students $.

· Reply · Share