Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

RPI Summer ARCH program - Run away

Replies to: RPI Summer ARCH program - Run away

• RPIchemEsonRPIchemEson Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Actually the model railroad has been relocated to space rented by RPI in town, months ago now.
  • sdl0625sdl0625 Registered User Posts: 659 Member
    I would be curious what RPI's yield will be this year.
  • Spark2018Spark2018 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Why? I'm more curious about RIT yield now. Let's toss in WPI while we are here. I have this feeling no matter what the yield is posters will try to use it to take an unwarranted dig on RPI.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    It is unfortunate RPI doesn't seem to be considering the needs and wants of their consumers. Poor business model. First they go after Greek life which is an important choice for some on campus and IMHO, vital to providing a collegiate life in Troy. Now they are forcing students to live on campus in the summer and purchase a meal plan.

Are the Trustees really happy they renewed Shirley Jackson's contract? I see more bad press about her than good.
  • shuttlebusshuttlebus Registered User Posts: 437 Member
    Is it possible that the majority of consumers want colleges to "go after Greek life" and that the colleges are, in fact, listening to all of their consumers and not just the most vocal ones? RPI is not the only college cracking down on Greek life. I happen to think it is a good business practice.

My kid is at a college that abolished frats in the early 60's. His experience has not been negatively affected in the least by a lack of Greek life.
  • Spark2018Spark2018 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @shuttlebus I think your comments are on point and I agree. Personally, except for the excesses and transgressions, I've been neutral. Not my thing, but also I'm not one to tell others what to do with their time. Movies and TV have created inaccurate images. On the other hand, clearly our culture is changing, and organizations that don't embrace diversity and inclusion are fighting the tide of history. My comments are not directed at professional fraternities based on grades and professional interests. I prefer to think that the administration desires to be ahead of the curve, and not 'that institution' on the front page following a tragedy. Certainly there are many posters here who will pounce on SJ should something happen on her watch.
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Stuff makes the news because the events are not a common or expected occurrence. One also runs the risk of interpreting an increase in reported incidents as an increase in incidents.
  • NewSR1NewSR1 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    @benee16 - my daughter chose WPI as well. I know RPI has the bigger name, but we too were impressed with how passionate the professors were. I mean like really passionate and happy. It was a complete standout compared to every other accepted student day we attended. The same with the students. At first I was annoyed accepted student day was mid week, but it was great to see the school in action. I am sure RPI is a great school and their students will go on to do great things, but for the next couple of years, the school is in limbo with this new ARCH program. Reddit, here, and other college forums are not talking highly of it at all. I can't find one person who wants or did the trial last summer and enjoyed it. Who knows whether it will change if my daughter went there, but she wanted to know her calendar years in advance. She already has a paid internship lined up for summers so that made it a big deal too. We also didn't want to pay for room and meals for 5 semesters and didn't want to pay for off campus year round housing in junior year if they were only living there one semester. So many kids would probably have to choose on campus for 6 full semesters. That was a financial deal breakers. Her top 2 choices, WPI and Purdue, both have very cheap off-campus housing in walking distance. That changes the overall cost dramatically.

In the end, we are glad she applied to a bunch of colleges and was able to pick one that would work for her. I guess that is what is so great about all these colleges being so different from one another. Everyone will find one that works best for them. Good luck all!
  • RPIparent77RPIparent77 Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Update: the challenge continues with ARCH. Checkin was a complete cluster. My child is in a very tiny and older double person dorm room with a shared hallway bath, and being charged more for the summer than fall. The summer is 6 weeks shorter!! They could not get room keys until Sunday morning, classes stared next morning. According to my child: this is insane, I waited almost an hour in line to get my room key to a building that I just cant wait to spend my summer in- Not!!! Most kids morale is low and angry this is what they are mandated to do!!

There was a early morning orientation that spewed complete garbage about how everyone is so excited and prepared for this summer at RPI. People looked at each other laughing and disgusted. The common discussion - why are we paying such a high cost for less weeks on campus, the unorganized and unhappy students.

Also - HUGE ISSUE!! The work study program....yeah joke! Students can not begin to work until July 1st! That means no income for over a month for those that need it most!! Not allowed to take the max credit hours, cant earn money, and living in a run down closet, mmmmm so far not so good!!
  • StudentsR1stStudentsR1st Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    It seems like a slogan is in order such as the following. Arch you should fear. Avoid Rensselaer.
    Hello, this is to let all know that RPI is losing ground fast. I have a child that is first year mandatory Arch student. It has been nothing short of disgusting! Today I received photos of the shared bathroom that has mold dripping off the ceiling. We are paying inflated costs for on campus housing, true Freshman dormitories that are the lowest quality. Unsafe, and unsanitary! They have not had any paper products since last Wednesday - more than a week! Nothing cleaned or maintained. Dinning halls were closed last weekend for the 3 day holiday (4 days after classes began). Please note it is MANDATORY they live where told on campus and purchase a meal plan as a Junior!! The cost of this ARCH and the morale of the students combined makes me want to throw up. We have decided that there will be no Masters or additional schooling at RPI. Please understand, at this point they can not transfer because of too many credits. Shirley Jackson knows exactly what she just created. So, we are 2.5 semester free from what I would call an awful college experience for my child, and a very expensive one!
    Also, work study does not begin until July 1st leaving the students that need the help the most...screwed! So, they are charging more and then the kids that typically work during the summer to help fund their schooling have zero income!
    I have read many forums stating this program is “optional”. That is not true! This is 100 % mandatory, and the only way you can be let out of it is if you play a sport the school decides worthy or EXTREME circumstances. They do not put you in a co-op, the student must fight like hell to find one. If they cannot they have to submit written papers regularly during their off semester I am being told. We feel very taken advantage of. I am a Cornell grad folks, so I am not just a parent that does not understand the process. This is totally going to hurt RPI, their candidate pool, and long term reputation.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    This is so sad to hear. My D loved RPI when we visited, they gave her great merit $, but ultimately she chose another school, partially because of not wanting to be a guinea pig for the ARCH program. I second guessed her decision for a while but after reading all the ARCH horror stories, I'm so relieved.

So sorry for your student and the others!
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,546 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that. What building?

My DS is happy as a clam with his ARCH experience so far. He selects the lowest mean plan and converts it all to Flex. The people at Panera should know him by name.