Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Paying for RISD

2»

Replies to: Paying for RISD

• SleepingParadiseSleepingParadise Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I know its kind of late into this converstation to ask.
    but im a junior right now in new york state.
    i was looking at RISD to go to or something neighboring the college that would also be a good art school to attend for a few years. im not sure completely what i wanted to major in, but i feel in my gut that this is the college that i wanted to go to.
    my mom makes about 90 grand a year but only has at least 15 thousand to give me for the total time if i were to go.
    so i need to ask what i could do for financial aid. i mean i guess its good that im a junior that i could save up it seems. but at the same time, my parents dont really approve of me going, so im at a point where im telling them i dont want to depend on them so i can take the chance to go.
    even so, im probably gonna end up being like your daughter alia, caught up in 200,000 dollars in debt. and for some reason my mom thinks i only have 10 years to pay it all back. i dont want to regret going, but i might because of this money.

i was looking at another college in rhode island where they have several good art classes and they have a club where it goes to new york city on the weekends from what it stated, which caught my interest as well, and they only charge 15 grand a year. so in the end would it just be better to go to the cheaper one?
  • AliaAlia Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Just saw these messages.

dnefoundyou: My daughter received both financial aid and departmental awards (money) throughout the last four years at RISD. RISD was pretty generous, and she also (every year) applied for and renewed local scholarships she was awarded at high school graduation. She worked part-time throughout the school year and one summer and found paid internships for two more summers. She didn't see any of this as a struggle, and she's so, so, so grateful she was able to go to RISD. It can be done.

SleepingParadise: If you want to go to RISD -- and I'd argue there's nothing quite like it -- work hard at your schoolwork and art and look into scholarships and grants in your local area. My daughter will graduate with only $2,000 in loans, and we paid about what your mother can pay. But, I have to say that this is due to her hard work, dedication, and responsibility. She had four deliriously happy years at RISD -- and she earned them.
  • dodochiangdodochiang Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Dear Alia,
    I am an international student from Taiwan in the same situation of you daughter. I am accepted with no scholarship and plus a $200 international fee to pay.
    Are there any chance that I could ask for Financial Aid for International student? because I had sent tons of emails to the admission office and got no reply about any aids or help I may apply.
    I am too want to get in RISD so bad for their rigorous programs.
    Hope to be the classmates with your daughter~
  • AliaAlia Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    dodochiang, I'm just a parent, so my information is pretty much restricted to my kid, but my understanding is that, like a lot of US universities, no aid is available at RISD for foreign students. All you can do is keep trying to contact them by email or phone -- to find out for certain. Good luck.
  • xxglasskidxxxxglasskidxx Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    if you join Lucy's RISD admissions 101 she is available every day to answer questions. I have heard many students ask her before if there was any aid for international students, and unfortunately no there isn't :( your best bet is to search for scholarships and grants from your country. Good luck!
  • krodri24krodri24 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello

I got accepted to RISD and received $22,400. I recently sent them an appeal letter but they said that they don't take appeals into consideration until after the May 1 deadline. There's $37,000 left to pay and I'm not really sure how we can pay for it. RISD is my #1 choice right now and I don't know how I can make things easier for my parents. I thought about calling the financial aid office but I won't really know what to tell them.
    Please help!
  • ktwofishktwofish Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    The reason they are telling you to wait until after May 1st is because then they will know who is planning to attend. Some aid might free up that they offered to other students (the ones who choose not to go to RISD). Does the $22,400 include loans?
  • TokioKawaiiTokioKawaii Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Can anyone just write an appeal letter and what do you say in one?
2»
This discussion has been closed.