Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Will my box be full of cheese?

Ria215Ria215 Registered User Posts: 300 Junior Member
edited December 2005 in Rice University
Not literally, of course. I'm really good at doing pop-up art (you know, like those books you had when you were little). I was thinking of doing a fairly detailed one of some buildings on Rice's campus. Is that too cheesy? It doesn't say much about me other than that I like Rice (they already know this) and that I have a rather unusual talent (they don't know that).

I don't know what else I would do. I was going to copy and shrink a postcard I bought in London of a painting I saw there. I'd put in a short explanation of how that work changed my idea of art.

Or, I could forget sucking up or being an art snob, and put in a really cute picture of my dog. The ad com would say "Awww! Our 1,034th picture of some girl's really cute dog! Let's reject her."

What do I do? Btw, I'm applying interim so it's due on Thursday.
Post edited by Ria215 on

Replies to: Will my box be full of cheese?

• jenskate1jenskate1 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    I think pop up art sounds super cool! It doesn't have to be of Rice though. You could make it of anything. Your dog, if you wanted. Or cheese, even, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I have no idea what to do either! I'm doing interim decision as well. I've been thinking about this box for about 4 months and I think it's driving me crazy. I was thinking of busting out some modern art and just leave it blank.
  • nspedsnspeds - Posts: 5,382 Senior Member
    I have no idea what to do either! I'm doing interim decision as well. I've been thinking about this box for about 4 months and I think it's driving me crazy. I was thinking of busting out some modern art and just leave it blank.

I am not sure about how much the box figures in the admissions process. I know someone who put the logos of basketball teams and and another who put car-brand logos, and both were admitted.

This is not to denigrate their ideas, but rather to demonstrate that one need not cure cancer in the box. An expression of what you like will suffice.
  • Ria215Ria215 Registered User Posts: 300 Junior Member
    Thanks guys. I've decided to do a pop-up of my dog. I was wondering how picky they are with the size of the box. Does it have to be right in it, or could I make a sort of mini-book with about three box-sized pages?
  • aibarraibarr Registered User Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    I did a multi-layer booklet thing, and I got in. Graduated, too. ;)

Oh, don't leave it blank! Do you honestly want to tell Rice, "I find nothing interesting"? This is your opportunity to tell them who you are, not who your college counselor and teachers and school principal *think* you are.
  • TKnowsTKnows Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    so wut did u guys end up putting in ur box?
  • Ria215Ria215 Registered User Posts: 300 Junior Member
    the outside had a photo of my dog and the inside had a pop-up of her. I hope the adcom likes dogs.
This discussion has been closed.