Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wow... read this article

ColorfulPigColorfulPig Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
edited December 2005 in Rice University
http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2002-11-14/news/feature.html

Guy pretends to be a Rice student for a few weeks...
Post edited by ColorfulPig on

Replies to: Wow... read this article

• raindrop1019raindrop1019 Registered User Posts: 959 Member
    This is definitely what I am doing if I don't get in.
  • jenskate1jenskate1 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    Oh, I've totally heard about that guy. It's totally crazy/sad. But, the weird thing is that you could never actually know for sure if someone in your class was doing that. It's crazy to think about though. Personally, I'm surprised it only took a month to figure it out.
  • aibarraibarr Registered User Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    Yup, that happened when I was a junior. It was kinda funky, but like jenskate said, not at all impossible to do.

It happens in the MOB all the time. Two UH students "infiltrated" the band when I was drum major in '03 and tore off their uniforms in the middle of the first show of the year (vs UH) to reveal UH shirts and ran off the field to loud cheers. It was pretty funny. It never really occurred to us to think that we'd been infiltrated, and it really wasn't that difficult to do.

Another time, a guy showed up claiming to play trombone and be a Rice student. I don't really think he was a Rice student, and I *know* he didn't actually played trombone, but he made an effort at faking it. We weren't entirely sure that he was playing with a full deck, but we weren't sure what to do about it, so we let him stick around for the season.

It doesn't happen all the time, but Rice students are laid back, so it's easy to do. There's really no reason to call someone out so long as they're not total whackos. They're not gonna give an impostor a sheepskin at the end of four years, so I personally don't particularly care if they want to go along for the ride.
  • Apollo1331Apollo1331 Registered User Posts: 604 Member
    this is SOOOOOOOOOOOO sad!!!
  • v.wv.w Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I think the management is too rude to that guy...this is wrong.
  • misterme2009misterme2009 Registered User Posts: 889 Member
    haha thats funny.
  • summersummer Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    That's some crazy stuff man.
This discussion has been closed.