Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for Rice, I'd really appreciate it

ComplikComplik - Posts: 505 Member
edited May 2013 in Rice University
Hey guys, I have a 3.6 GPA, 2000 sat score, 30 act score, 11 on the sat essay,
ECs: Aviation, NHS, NTHS, Rocketry, Debate, Chess, UIL, I was in band and jazz band and Drumline, swim team, ultimate frisbee club, and engineering club

President/Creator of Aviation club, we've gotten like 10 people to fly airplanes
President of NTHS
Section leader of band
Trying for class president this year
I have almost 2 years job experience as a book keeper
Started my own ebay business
Hopefully will have 200+ community service by the end of this summer
Hopefully a private pilots license by the end of the summer

Thanks so much! :)
Post edited by Complik on

Replies to: Chance me for Rice, I'd really appreciate it

• ComplikComplik - Posts: 505 Member
    I'm also Hispanic and I am improving my SAT hopefully up to at least 2100
  • crazymomstercrazymomster Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    You have interesting ECs.

Define "2 years as a bookkeeper". 2 summers? or 2 years of continuous employment of how many hours per week? For your parents or an outside employer?

Anyone can start an ebay business. What are you selling and how much are you bringing in?

Are you currently a junior?
    Its a long story, but I (with the help of a teacher) founded a high school aviation club. One of the first in Texas, it has grown to almost 30 people in less than a semester, over 10 people have received free flying lessons and flown a plane. Recognized in the news papers, TV, school websites, and college professors from UNT have asked to speak to the club. As president and founder, I made all of this happen.
    Other interesting things- 1st Place in the state of Texas for chess. This was 7th grade, not sure if it's relevant. I have a trophy that's almost 6 feet tall though :D
    Taking an engineering internship at a local business next year. Helped found the Ultimate Frisbee Organization at my school, one of the first members and supporters, there are no officers though
    My parents own three businesses. I have been working two years as their secretary/bookkeeper. (This isn't some slack off scam, I clocked in and out and was on payroll like any other employee) Roughly 20 hours a week.

Selling and reselling various electronics, collectibles, and vintage products, making up to 500 a week on most successful times.

Junior, almost senior. GPA is lacking, I know, but I'm taking 7 AP classes next year along with the internship I mentioned.
    Bump please
    Bump it upppp
  • desertocardesertocar Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I'd say your extra-curriculars are interesting and being Hispanic will probably help, but you should try to get your test scores higher (2150+ or 33+ is probably the range for which you should be aiming).
  • ElrodElrod Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Spend more time searching and reading this forum and I think you will be able to have a pretty good idea. Nevertheless, we can be sure you will not get accepted into Rice, or any other college, if you do not apply. Here is my view in a nutshell:

1. It is going to be difficult to get into Rice with a 3.6 GPA.
    2. It is going to be difficult to get out of Rice with a 3.6 GPA.
    Whoa thanks man! Great insight!
This discussion has been closed.