Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice University RD Class of 2020 Discussion **OFFICIAL THREAD**

1252627282931»

Replies to: Rice University RD Class of 2020 Discussion **OFFICIAL THREAD**

• AKDougAKDoug Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @ImporTan I received about 41k in combined need based and merit scholarships, but I'm gonna try to appeal for more, because my parents really aren't able to pay for the rest of the tuition, despite what's shown on my CSS profile.

On that note, does anyone know how likely it is that Rice would give more need based aid when I appeal?
  • MaximiliasMaximilias Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Dear GoldenRock, MuggleMom and AKDoug, I sure hope that Rice helps you. It seems that those who have true need should be helped. I don't know the proper protocol for this type of thing, but it makes sense to me that you should be able to present your case to Rice on a personal basis, explaining why they should offer more help. I'm beginning to wonder, based on what you have said, that Rice might have a higher yield rate if more students from the middle class received more financial help. I'm discovering that the world of college admissions and financial aid is not at all as simple as I had previously thought or as rosy as the literature makes it out to be. It seems that if a student gets into Rice and their parents are doing everything they can, one would hope Rice would help them. I wish you all well.
  • ImporTanImporTan Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    @Maximilias I agree. Rice had a yield of 33% last year, whereas most schools of such caliber are around 50%. Unfortunately, I too will likely not be attending due to bad financial aid :(
    ImporTan, I hope you appeal and get a favorable result. Good luck.
  • mallorypikemallorypike Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Hey guys I think I read here that there's a groupme for class of 2020. How can I join?
  • LikeThisLikeThis Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Does Rice send out acceptance packages? I haven't received one yet.
  • WestCoastKid101WestCoastKid101 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @southeastkid
    Thanks for the stats and congrats! Look forward to hearing where you decide on. You've got some great choices!
  • sarangooLsarangooL Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    @LikeThis

Yes, it's a paper packet containing a folder with your official letter and some information regarding your chosen major.
    Just got accepted to Dartmouth, and the online letter had graphics of falling confetti and party streamers. Geeeeze! Thanks for keeping it classy, Rice. I will not be going to Dartmouth.
  • college-jcollege-j Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    My daughter wants to go to med school after college. Now, we are debating if she should go to Rice or UVA. We are VA residence, it will save us $30,000 per year to go to UVA, and since she is an Echo scholar at UVA, there is no school degree requirements which means she can take any courses she likes. Also, she can transfer almost 60 AP credits. But, the only concern we have is UVA is a very big public school, it might offer less hospital and medical related opportunities compare to Rice (with the biggest health system Texas Health Center is right across the street from the campus). Anyone can give us some advice on this? Thanks!
  • NCComputerNerdNCComputerNerd Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    UVA is a great school and if she does well and scores well on the MCAT she will get into Med School. 30K is a lot of money and her goal should be to graduate undergrad debt free if possible. Medical school will be expensive and it would be a shame to that deep in debt. Do you know what % of UVA students who apply for Med School get in? Not sure on the number at Rice. With 60 hours of AP credit she can probably completed the pre-req's for med school in less then two years and potential could apply after her sophomore year.

Good luck I know it is hard decision. UT Health Science system is very good but there are other great schools out there as well.
This discussion has been closed.